Chapter Forty: Addicted to Love

Your lights are on, but you're not home

Your mind is not your own

Your heart sweats, your body shakes

Another kiss is what it takes

Ziva stared in a kind of shocked silence at the person standing in her doorway. It had been a month since Gibbs had gone down toMexicowith Mike Franks after the incident that left him in a coma. Since then, Tony had taken over as the team leader, and that was who she was looking at now.

Sure, her body was functioning normally and her lights were on, but the Mossad liaison officer wasn't entirely home.

"Ziva, are you going to let me in or leave me out to roam the night?" Tony asked, a small smirk on his face.

She stepped back and let him in, studying his profile, his face. Those clear, green eyes, dark brown hair, full mouth . . . Ziva shook her head slightly to clear it; her mind was not her own tonight.

DiNozzo stepped closer to her, worry in his eyes. "Zi, are you okay?"

She wasn't. His closeness was doing something to her: her heart was sweating and her body started shaking. If he kissed her, that would be all it would take to send her over the edge. Ziva started to tell him she wasn't okay, but her mouth and body betrayed her. She murmured, "Kiss me," even as she lowered his mouth to hers.

The responding jolt to her system informed her that—as much as she tried to deny it—she needed so much more.

You can't sleep, you can't eat

There's no doubt, you're in deep

Your throat is tight, you can't breathe

Another kiss is all you need

After that encounter, Ziva found she couldn't sleep or eat. She had no doubt she was in deep—but to what, exactly, she wasn't sure.

Or maybe she was. Whenever Tony was around, her throat grew tight and she couldn't breathe.

"Hey, Ziva." Snapping fingers made her aware that Tony was talking to her. Her eyes moving around, she remembered that they were at work, and she became aware of the fact that McGee and Michelle Lee were watching her.

"Yeah?" she managed, forcing herself not to stare at him. There was no way what she felt for him was what she thought it was, but all she needed from him was another kiss.

Tony said, "It's late. Were you planning on staying here on gong home?" Obviously, he was trying for a joke.

Her throat constricted, but she forced out, "Very funny. If you must know, I was going home."

"Mind if I drive you?"

God, these emotions were such a nuisance. It would be a miracle if she made it home without jumping him.

All she wanted was one kiss, so she could satisfy herself. That was it. It would be the last time, she promised herself.

Whoa, you like to think you're immune to the stuff, oh yeah

It's closer to the truth to say you can't get enough

You know you're gonna have to face it, you're addicted to love

Ziva David might like to think she was immune to whatever was raging through her, but it was closer to the truth to say she couldn't get enough of Tony DiNozzo, who was now her team leader. Excitement and desire zinged her nerves as they entered her apartment. She knew she was going to have to face it eventually, but now all she wanted was her partner (and boss, in recent weeks).