Chapter Fifty-Two: Will You Be There (In the Morning)

I'm lying beside you just thinking 'bout us
Too tired to go to sleep, I'm too much in love
I know I'm crazy but I can't close my eyes
I'm scared you won't be there in the morning when I rise

Moonlight and shadows played over the walls and illuminated two still forms in the bed. Tony was dead to the world, but Ziva was wide awake. She was lost in thought about their relationship and where it was going. Her eyes were heavy with fatigue, but she was at that stage where she was too tired to fall asleep—and too much in love. It was crazy, but she couldn't close her eyes. The probie was scared Tony would be gone when she rose in the morning.

Will you be there
Now who do you dream about
Are you alone in your sleep
To who will you reach out
Oh, let it be me

Ziva turned her head to the left so she was studying his profile. All of a sudden, she thought, Will you be there? She couldn't help wondering who he was dreaming about—if at all—and if he was alone in sleep. To who will you reach out? Just let it be me, Tony.

Now baby you're my obsession my addiction my drug
Don't wanna be without you when I wake up oh no

He was her obsession, her addiction, her drug. The Israeli didn't want to have to wake up and find him gone.

Will you be there in the morning
Will you be there when I want you
Will you be there when I wake up
I need you to be there in the morning
Will you be there

Again she glanced over and thought, Will you be there in the morning, whenever I want you? She hated to admit it, but she needed him there with her. Sure, they worked together, but it wasn't quite the same.

Almost without Ziva realizing it, her hand drifted towards his warm shoulder. Then she noticed and pulled back. For all she knew, Tony had started sleeping with a gun under his pillow as well. In all honesty, she wasn't keen on finding out.

Well you're so close to me but I feel so alone
The more that I touch you, oooh the more I want
Don't know what to do about me loving you
But I pray to God that you feel it too

Still, the more she touched him, the more she wanted. It was killing her to be so close to him and at the same time feel so alone. Ziva didn't know what she'd do about loving Tony or how to handle Gibbs if he found out. She prayed to God that he felt it too, that whenever Tony was near her, she experienced the heady rush of a good run or the adrenaline spike that sometimes came with the job description. The probie sighed and moved closer to him, enjoying the warmth of his body in the cool night.

Now baby you're my obsession my addiction my drug
So let the candle grow into a great fire of love, oh yeah

Ziva was addicted to him. It wasn't as if she could help it, after all. Just let the candle grow into a great fire of love.

Not that she was usually one for corny thoughts. She'd been having a lot of them as of late.

The thought crossed her mind of whether he was dreaming about her and not his ex, Jeanne.

Will you be there in the morning
Will you be there when I want you
Will you be there when I wake up
I need you to be there in the morning, ooh ooo yeah

Please be there when I wake up in the morning, DiNozzo, Ziva thought, tracing small circles across his back. In sleep, he moaned a little and rolled over, still dead to the world. When she pressed a feather-light kiss to his forehead, though, his green-gray eyes opened. Voice thick and heavy with sleep, he murmured, "What do you want, Zi?"

Only you, corny as it was, popped into her head. "Just hold me for a minute, Tony. It's chill in here."

"You mean 'cold,' " he corrected but did as she said.

She heard him taking her scent into his lungs and buried her nose in the crook of his neck, enjoying the feel and smell of him. It was a good thing they'd finally given in to six years worth of pent-up sexual tension—and she hoped it wouldn't be a fling.

I wanna love you forever
Don't want a love that's now or never
Can't you see you got me down on the floor
I want more . . . more

Ziva wanted to love him forever, not a love that was now or never—one of his usual "dates," which could more accurately be described as one-night stands.

Can't you see you got me down on the floor? She wanted so much more right now. Without really thinking about it, her lips pressed into the curve of his neck, then met his lips and jawline before moving back.

"Zi, what are you—"

"Make love to me, Tony." She breathed the words across his skin, relishing the way he reacted: slight tremors raced up and down his flesh.

Finally he gave in.

Now she was able to sleep. Her last thought was, Will you be there . . .

Will you be there in the morning
Will you be there when I want you
Will you be there when I wake up
Will you be there in the morning
Will you be there

Oohh ooo yeah
Will you be there when I want you
Will you be there when I wake up
Will you be there in the morning
Will you be there when I want you