Chapter Twelve: I Didn't Want to Need You

Baby I never gave my heart to anyone oh no

I used to think that love was a game

I used to make it just for fun, oh yeah

When we spent the night together

Didn't mean it meant that much

Now I just can't live without your touch

"Ziva!" A hand waved in front of her face, jolting the NCIS agent out of her thoughts. When her eyes were focusing again, she found herself looking at her partner. Last night pushed its way to the front of her mind, and she found herself having to hide a shiver. Before that night, she'd never given her heart to anyone; used to think that love was a game She'd make it just for fun, but last night changed that. Ziva didn't think their spending the night together meant that much.

Tony's green-gray gaze searched hers. "Do you have anything else on our suspects?"

"Not yet," she replied, suppressing a sudden crazy urge to reach out and touch him. With a thrill of horror, she realized she couldn't live without his touch.

Suddenly her computer beeped and an email popped up on her screen from Abby. "I do now," the former Mossad officer said. Skimming over the message, she reported, "The neurotoxin Abby found on our victim? It comes from a Western diamondback. Don't they handle venomous snakes?"

"Yep," DiNozzo confirmed. "Let's roll." He snatched up his gun and badge, Ziva following as he made for the elevator.

I didn't wanna need you, no no

I didn't wanna want you like I do

I didn't mean to fall

I didn't wanna care at all

I didn't wanna need you, no no

Like I need you now

Hours later, the case was wrapped up and the two agents who had the collar were chowing down on pizza. Gibbs, their boss, looked at them with something akin to disgust. "How do you eat that stuff?"

"Easy," Tony said after he swallowed a bite. "You pick it up, put it in your mouth, and eat."

He was rewarded for his efforts by the infamous head-slap. "Shut up, DiNozzo."

Ziva, who was sitting on the edge of her partner's desk, had to stifle a laugh. She realized that she'd fallen for him, that she cared for him more than she should. No! I didn't want this!

You're sure about that? A voice asked snidely. Ziva could've sworn it sounded like Abby.

Beat it, she snarled.

It did, leaving Ziva all alone in her head.

The probationary agent didn't want to need Tony, didn't mean to care at all; she didn't want to want him like she did, yet she needed him now.

"Go home, you two," Gibbs suddenly ordered.

DiNozzo drained the last of his soda, crumpled it up, tossed it in the trash can, and stood up. "You coming, Zi?"

Ziva shrugged. "Might as well." Even as she said it, she wasn't sure she'd be able to control her urges.

Oh I can't get no sleep

Cause I keep thinking of you all through the night, oh yeah

My eyes can't wait to see you again

My arms can't wait to hold you tight, oh yeah

And when you're lying here beside me

There is nothing else I need

Never thought that this could ever be

The probationary agent tossed and turned in her bed before she gave up trying to sleep. Ziva just lay there, thinking of Tony. Giving in, she reached for her cell and called him. Her eyes couldn't wait to see him again, and she couldn't wait to hold him tight.

Tony's cell on the other end of the line rang, and when Ziva heard him pick up, she didn't wait for him to answer it. "Tony, it's Ziva. Where are you?"

Surprisingly, he sounded wide awake as he replied, "Turning onto my street. Why?"

She silently berated herself for not coming up with a plausible explanation. What was she going to say? Finally she decided on the truth, ridiculous as it sounded. "I want to see you."

"You see me every day at work."

"That's not what I meant."

There was a pause. Then Tony replied, "I'll be there soon. You're at your house, right?"

"Yes."

"See you."

At least ten minutes later, DiNozzo had let himself in. By now it was well pastmidnightand the female NCIS agent was about ready to collapse with fatigue. She took a step forward—and crumpled against her partner, eyes halfway closed. Ziva felt his arms come around her and heard his voice close to her ear. "Ziva, come on. Let's get you in bed. You need to sleep."

She slowly raised her head and said drowsily, "Only if you come with me."

He stiffened against her, taking in her implication, then relaxed. "Zi, you're half asleep. You don't know what you're saying."

"Yes, I do," she murmured. Her head dropped back onto his shoulder.

DiNozzo sighed and decided to put her to bed—but he was leaving right afterwards. But later, as he watched his partner—who looked so innocent—he couldn't help it.

Ziva smiled as she feigned sleep and felt Tony slide in next to her. Now there was nothing else she needed, with him lying there beside her. I never thought that this would ever be.

I didn't wanna need you, oh no

I didn't wanna want you like I do

I didn't mean to fall

I didn't wanna care at all

I didn't wanna need you, no no

Like I need you now

She hadn't meant for this to happen. Ziva didn't want to want him like she did; she didn't mean to need him like she needed him now.

I've always been free

To leave when I wanted to leave

But it's not about me anymore

Before NCIS, Ziva had always been free to leave when she wanted to. Since she'd developed feelings for Tony, she realized it wasn't up to just her anymore. Now she was part of a team.

I didn't wanna need you, no no no

I didn't wanna want you like I do

I didn't mean to fall

I didn't wanna care at all

I didn't wanna need you, no no no

I didn't wanna want you like I do

I didn't mean to fall

I didn't wanna care at all

I didn't wanna need you, no no

But I need you now

I need you now

I need you now

I need you baby, ooo

I didn't wanna need you, no no