Chapter Twenty-Five: Love is a Battlefield [AU]

The bus drove along the road, green fields flying by out the window. Ziva David sat near the back, watching the countryside. After a few minutes, she rested her head back and closed her eyes.

(We are young, heartache to heartache we stand

No promises, no demands

Love is a battlefield)

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa

At least fifteen minutes later, she was at home having yet another row with her father, Eli David. Finally he ordered, "Get out!"

Glaring at him defiantly, Ziva grabbed her bag and stormed out, slamming the door behind her. Before leaving, she looked back at her house. Her heart tightened when she saw her half-brother gazing sadly at her from his bedroom window.

Eli shouted, "Don't ever bother coming back! If you know what's good for you, stay away!"

We are strong, no one can tell us we're wrong

Searchin' our hearts for so long, both of us knowing

Love is a battlefield

She glared at him one last time before turning and racing away.

Ziva ran until her aching sides and burning muscles forced her to slow to a walk. Breathing heavily, she looked around, taking in her surroundings. Where would a seventeen-year-old on the run go to stay safe? She wondered. Taking in the area again, she realized she was near a subway. It was getting dark, but people crowded the streets. Whenever someone shoved into her accidentally, Ziva flinched and stepped back. This wouldn't do.

Then she remembered that there was a safe house nearby. Maybe she could stay there for the night, then work out a plan in the morning. Yes, that was what she would do, Ziva decided. Pleased with herself, she started walking. When she arrived, she slipped quietly inside, dropped her bag, and crashed on the bed.

You're begging me to go, you're making me stay

Why do you hurt me so bad

It would help me to know

Do I stand in your way, or am I the best thing you've had

Believe me, believe me I can't tell you why

But I'm trapped by your love and I'm chained to your side

Back home, Eli David's fork slipped from his fingers and clattered to the floor. He automatically picked up it, then continued pushing the food on his plate around.

The whole family felt Ziva's absence keenly. She might have thought she stood in his way, but in reality, she was the best thing he'd had. Eli regretted cutting her loose, but doubted she would forgive him.

At that moment, Ziva's eyes snapped open. Sunlight filled the safe house. Panic filled her briefly as she saw unfamiliar walls; then memory set in and she relaxed. She still had to keep moving.

As she walked along the street, heading towards a high school, her thoughts unintentionally turned to her father. He'd begged her to go, yet making her stay in the house until she finished high school. Why had he hurt her so bad? Honestly, it would have helped her to know if she stood in his way or was the best thing he'd had. She couldn't tell him why she'd left, but even from so far away she was trapped by his love and chained to his side.

Carefully, she studied the teenagers around her, wondering if any of them could help.

We are young, heartache to heartache we stand

No promises, no demands

Love is a battlefield

We are strong, no one can tell us we're wrong

Searchin' our hearts for so long, both of us knowing

Love is a battlefield

After all, they were her own age. They were strong; no one could tell them they were wrong.

Then her eyes settled on a good-looking guy with dark brown hair and green eyes. For some reason, butterflies fluttered in her stomach and her heart beat faster as he peeled off from his friends and headed in her direction. Ziva was suddenly very aware that she probably looked dirty and grungy from being out all night. What did she care? For that matter, since when did she care what she looked like?

The guy stopped in front of her and flashed a teasing grin. "Going somewhere?"

Her shoulders tensed, then relaxed as she reminded herself that she had been looking for help. "Yes. I'm Ziva, by the way."

"Tony. Now, where are you going?"

Who knew that would be the start of a long friendship and years later they would be partners at the Naval Criminal Investigative Service?

We're losing control

Will you turn me away, or touch me deep inside

And if all this gets old, will it still feel the same

There's no way this will die

But if we get much closer, I could lose control

And if your heart surrenders, you'll need me to hold

Ziva sat down in a comfortable chair to rest. On her latest case, she was undercover as a dancer, hoping to get close to a petty officer using the club as a front for drug smuggling. She loved dancing, but wasn't too fond of dancing with some stranger. If only . . .

"Excuse me, but do I know you?"

Ziva's brown eyes nearly bounced out of their sockets as she rolled them up to find herself looking at Tony's face. Grinning, he added, "I must be looking for some other Lisa Daniels."

Well, it wouldn't be breaking her cover if she danced with him, Ziva supposed. Rising, she gave him a wolfish smile and wrapped her arms around his neck, swaying to the music. If he knew how she felt about him, would he turn her away or touch her deep inside? Ziva couldn't deny that they were losing control over their feelings. From the way he was holding her, hands slowly trailing up her exposed back, she suspected he knew what he was doing to her. If her job got old, would it still feel the same? There was no way this could die, but if they became much closer, Ziva knew she would lose control. If his heart surrendered, he would need her to hold.

"Let go of me!"

The shriek from one of the other dancers brought Ziva back to earth abruptly. Swiftly, she stepped back from her partner and glanced around, searching for the source. She found it a few seconds later. One of the guys was harassing another dancer. She tried to walk away, but he grabbed her arm tightly. He wouldn't let go when she struggled to break free.

If Ziva was in her regular clothes, she would attack and end the situation right then and there. Since she was wearing a dress and was undercover, she couldn't really . . . Hold on. She was undercover as a dancer, and since some dance moves could be lethal . . . Bingo. She'd found her solution.

[Insert MJ moves here if you've seen the music video.]

A few minutes later, the terrified guy had left the building. Smiling broadly, a satisfied Ziva walked out, Tony and the others at her heels. Abby was going to love hearing about this.

We are young, heartache to heartache we stand

No promises, no demands

Love is a battlefield

We are strong, no one can tell us we're wrong

Searchin' our hearts for so long

Both of us knowing . . .

Love is a battlefield