Chapter Eight: Fallen From Grace

I pray for the love

That's fallen from grace

The tears left behind

Won't wash from my face

I'm left with all these feelings

But nothing fills the space

Of the love that once was

That's fallen from grace

Jeanne Bentoit splashed water on her face and looked up at her reflection in the mirror. Nope, still there. Tears still streaked her face, even though she'd left Tony behind a week ago. The pretty doc refused to admit it, but she missed Tony. She was left feeling angry at Tony for lying to her, confused, and upset, but nothing filled the space of the love that once was, that'd fallen from grace.

Every little picture

Hanging on the wall

Every little trace of you

I've found them all

I close my eyes

It's all I can do

Everywhere I look

I see some part of you

After wiping her face dry with a towel, Jeanne headed out of her bathroom and walked listlessly into the living room, where she flopped down on the couch. She pulled out her cell phone and scrolled through her text messages. There was nothing new, so Jeanne started looking through her pictures. Several of them were of Tony, her former boyfriend, who she'd discovered was a NCIS agent. She quickly deleted them and started looking around for other traces of her former partner.

After getting rid of them all, all she could do was close her eyes. Even after ridding herself of Tony's traces, she saw some part of him.

I been through every reason

And they all seem to fit

No one's pleaded guilty now

There's nothing to admit

There's no one to blame baby

Once you believe

'Cos people only touch and go

But love will never leave

Sighing, Jeanne rubbed her temples, flopped back down on the sofa, and put on some music. Relaxing, she mentally sorted through every reason why she'd left him. Finished with the psychoanalysis, she concluded that they all seemed to fit, even if no one had pleaded guilty. There wasn't even anyone to blame once she believed, 'cause people only touch and go, but love would never leave.

I pray for the love

That's fallen from grace

The tears left behind

Won't wash from my face

I'm left with all these feelings

But nothing fills the space

Of the love that once was

That's fallen from grace

Tiredness swamped Jeanne as she leaned back and closed her eyes, praying for the love that had fallen from grace. Emotions churned inside her, but that didn't replace the hole in her heart.

I'm a little bit disappointed

I'm a little bit relieved

I feel a little sorry baby

I feel a bit deceived

No no not by you darlin'

I know love's demanding

Live and learning every day

But never understanding

Shattered dreams and memories of you

Left hanging over me

A cross to bear

When love cools

A crown of thorns

For the queen of fools

Jeanne felt disappointment and relief churn in her, and at the same time she felt a bit sorry for herself and deceived. Not by Tony—okay, maybe a little—but by the Director of NCIS. She knew love was demanding, living and learning every day but never understanding.

As she laid her head down on the pillow, eyes snapping open, images and memories of Tony "DiNardo" floated in her mind's eye. They were fragmented and not very sharp, but there were enough to be left hanging over the brunette doctor.

I ought to wear a crown of thorns for the queen of fools, Jeanne thought, punching the pillow with a balled-up fist. How could I have been such an idiot for falling for all his smooth talking?

I pray for the love

That's fallen from grace

The tears left behind

Won't wash from my face

I'm left with all these feelings

But nothing fills the space

Of the love that once was

That's fallen from grace