Chapter Thirty-Eight: Shadows of the Night

We're running with the shadows of the night

So baby take my hand it'll be all right

Surrender all your dreams to me tonight

They'll come true in the end

Shadows flickered at the edge of Ziva's peripheral vision as she raced through the night with Tony at her side. The former Mossad liaison silently pleaded, Baby, take my hand, it'll be all right. If he surrendered his dreams to her tonight, they'd come true in the end.

Now, as to why they were running. For once, they weren't pursuing a suspect. Nope, they were just running for the heck of it.

You said—oh, girl it's a cold world

When you keep it all to yourself

I said you can't hide on the inside

All the pain you've ever felt

Ransom my heart but baby don't look back

'Cause we got nobody else

Panting, DiNozzo slowed down, forcing Ziva to do the same. Finally they both stopped.

"Oh, girl, it's a cold world when you keep it all to yourself."

Startled, Ziva glanced at her partner. Was he talking about her hidden feelings for him? She quickly banished the thought and shot back, "Well, you can't hide on the inside all the pain you've ever felt." Softening the brusque comeback, the probationary agent added, "Ransom my heart but baby don't look back 'cause we got nobody else." Screw proper grammar.

Something behind the two NCIS agents let out a victorious growl as it slunk closer, sending them running again.

We're running with the shadows of the night

So baby take my hand it'll be all right

Surrender all your dreams to me tonight

They'll come true in the end

As they ran with the shadows of the night, Ziva's hand slipped into Tony's. She thought, Surrender all your dreams to me tonight. They'll come true in the end.

Finally she had to slow. They couldn't keep up this fast pace for too long. Before stopping, she pulled Tony with her into a side street.

You know that sometimes it feels like

It's all moving way too fast

Use every alibi and words you deny

That love ain't meant to last

You can cry tough baby it's all right

You can let me down easy but not tonight

Both of them knew that sometimes it felt like events were moving way too fast. Tony and Ziva could use every alibi and words they'd deny that love wasn't meant to last.

With a slight shock, she noticed her partner's cheeks were wet. Ziva consoled him, "You can cry, tough baby, it's all right."

Since when would you say something like that?"

Ignoring the jab, she continued, "You can let me down easy, but not tonight."

"You've been listening to Pat Benatar, haven't you?"

We're running with the shadows of the night

So baby take my hand it'll be all right

Surrender all your dreams to me tonight

They'll come true in the end

We're running with the shadows of the night

So baby take my hand it'll be all right

Surrender all your dreams to me tonight

They'll come true in the end

And now the hands of time are standin' still

Midnight angel won't you say you will

"Well, yes," Ziva admitted. "But come on! We're running with the shadows of the night, so take my hand and it'll be all right."

It seemed the hands of time were standin' still as he studied her. Ziva thought, Midnight angel, say you will, you want me too.

Tony stiffened as he heard something behind them. He grabbed her hand . . . and they were on the run again through the shadows of the night.

We're running with the shadows of the night

So baby take my hand it'll be all right

Surrender all your dreams to me tonight

They'll come true in the end