Chapter Twenty-Eight: Magic Man [AU]

Cold late night so long ago

When I was not so strong, you know

A pretty man came to me

I never seen eyes so blue

You know, I could not run away it seemed

We'd seen each other in a dream

Seemed like he knew me, he looked right through me, yeah

The night air felt chill on Jennifer Sheppard's bare arms and legs as she strolled down the street. There was only one other person out on the street this late at night, and he was about to pass her by. Jen froze as he neared her, staring into his ice-blue eyes. She'd never seen eyes so blue.

Jenny tried to run away, but she couldn't move. She had seen him before in her dreams, although the redhead was pretty sure she'd never met him in real life.

He slowed to a stop, looking right through her as if trying to place her. Finally he said softly, "Hello, Jen."

"Jethro." The name caught in her throat.

Come on home girl he said with a smile

You don't have to love me yet, let's get high awhile

But try to understand, try to understand

Try try try to understand . . . I'm a magic man

He smiled and said, "Come on home, girl. You don't have to love me yet, let's get high awhile."

She hesitated before replying, "Okay." Hopefully, her friends and family would understand. After all, Leroy Jethro Gibbs was a magic man.

Winter nights we sang in tune

Played inside the months of moon

Never think of never, let the spell last forever

Well summer lover passed to fall

Tried to realize it all

Mama says she's worried, growing up in a hurry, yeah

The months flew by. During the winter nights, they sang in tune as part of a gig, playing inside the months of moon. Jen forced herself not to think about how their relationship would end and let the spell she'd fallen under last forever. Before she knew it, she and Jethro had passed from summer lovers to fall. Lying in bed one Saturday morning, she tried to realize all that had happened. Her mother was constantly worrying about her, saying Jenny was growing up in a hurry.

Come on home girl Mama cried on the phone

Too soon to lose my baby yet my girl should be at home

But try to understand, try to understand

Try try try to understand he's a magic man Mama ah he's a magic man

She was with Jethro, relaxing in the shade of a huge elm tree, when her phone rang. Reluctantly, Jenny untangled herself from his embrace and reached for her cell phone. "I'm sorry, but I have to answer this," she apologized, hitting TALK. "Hello?" the redheaded teenager said into the phone.

"Thank God you're there!" her mom cried. "Come on home, girl. It's too soon to lose my baby, yet my girl should be at home."

"Mom, I'm sixteen!" Jenny protested.

Ms. Sheppard sighed. "I know, but—"

Jen interrupted, "But try to understand, try to understand he's a magic man, Mama." She sighed before repeating, "He's a magic man."

"Now, listen here young lady—" her mother began hotly.

She was cut off as her headstrong hung up. Content, Jen leaned back against Jethro, a small smile on her lips as his arms came around her.

Come on home girl he said with a smile

I cast my spell of love on you a woman from a child

But try to understand, try to understand . . . oh oh

Try try to understand

Try try try to understand he's a magic man . . . oh yeah

He's got the magic hands

Her boyfriend turned her face to his. He asked, "Is something wrong at home?"

"Not exactly," Jen felt compelled to explain. "Mom wanted me back."

"Well, come on home, girl," Jethro said with a smile. "I cast my spell of love on you a woman from a child."

Jen felt herself growing warm. If any of her friends saw them right now, they could at least try to understand that he had the magic hands—hands that right now were doing delicious things to her.

She never wanted these moments to end. Hopefully, they never would. (Yeah, right.)

Come on home girl he said with a smile

You don't have to love me yet let's get high awhile

But try to understand, try to understand

Try try try to understand he's a magic man, oh oh