Chapter Nine: Heartbreaker

Your love is like a tidal wave spinnin' over my head
Drownin' me in your promises better left unsaid
You're the right kind of sinner to release my inner fantasy
The invincible winner, and you know that you were born to please

The sun warmed Special Agent Ziva David's back as she leaned against the window by her desk. Her chocolate-brown eyes scanned the area; then homed in on Tony DiNozzo. Of course, he was already drooling over some woman that they had brought in. Then his gaze shifted over to her with the same hungry look in his eyes. Ziva felt like she was drowning in promises that he'd made to her, which were better left unsaid. She also felt like his . . . affections for her was a tidal wave spinnin' over her head, hence the figurative drowning.

Ziva knew Tony's track record with women wasn't all that great—like Gibbs's—but that didn't stop her from secretly fantasizing about him.

She pushed off the windowsill and walked over to DiNozzo's desk, noticing that the hungry look in his eyes sharpened until it resembled that of a starving wolf.

Yeah, the invincible winner, she silently mocked, and you know that you were born to please.

Over at his computer, McGee's fingers slipped on the keyboard and "Heartbreaker" by Pat Benatar could be heard—loudly. (Well, part of it.)

You're a heartbreaker
Dream maker, love taker
Don't you mess around with me
You're a heartbreaker
Dream maker, love taker
Don't you mess around—no no no

Every head in the place whipped around to stare at them, showing McGee with a horrified look on his face and Tony and Ziva almost at blows. And then Tony waved at them.

Poor Timothy looked like he wanted to die; Ziva looked ready to shoot someone (she'd pulled out her gun and was aiming); and Tony looked like he was having the time of his life.

Relaxing slightly, Ziva put her gun back where she'd grabbed it. The lyrics to the song playing remained in her head, reminding her of Tony. In their cases, it was so true.

Your love has set my soul on fire, burnin' out of control
You taught me the ways of desire, now it's taking its toll
You're the right kind of sinner to release my inner fantasy
The invincible winner and you know that you were born to please

DiNozzo's grin widened as he enjoyed Tim's discomfort and the song. Ziva, meanwhile, had other thoughts.

It was true that sometimes she felt something more for him than a brother-sister or working partnership, but to think she actually loved him? Ridiculous!

Now all eyes were focused on Tony and Ziva. Even Gibbs was watching from upstairs with a small smile on his face.

Thinking back, Ziva felt a flicker of doubt about her earlier conclusion. She did love him, she realized. Now it's takin' its toll. Zi couldn't go five or ten minutes without thinking about him. There was just one little problem. Ziva tuned back into the song, eyes narrowed at DiNozzo.

You're a heartbreaker
Dream maker, love taker
Don't you mess around with me
You're a heartbreaker
Dream maker, love taker
Don't you mess around—no no no

Across from Ziva, Tony gulped, realizing the song had taken on a personal meaning for him and his partner. But that means . . . Oh no. Boss is going to kill us.

McGee, his initial fright and embarrassment over, smirked as he relished Tony's discomfort. I didn't plan this, but these two are better than cable.

As he was thinking that, he was pretty sure he saw money exchange between agents, as if they were placing bets on either a fight or a kiss.

Watching DiNozzo, Ziva was vaguely aware of some commotion elsewhere but quickly dismissed it. Don't you mess around with me, she thought, quoting the song.

You're the right kind of sinner to release my inner fantasy
The invincible winner and you know that you were born to please

You're a heartbreaker
Dream maker, love taker
Don't you mess around with me
You're a heartbreaker
Dream maker, love taker
Don't you mess around with me

You're a heartbreaker
Dream maker, love taker
Don't you mess around with me
You're a heartbreaker
Dream maker, love taker
Heartbreaker

As Tony figured out that this song was from Zi's point of view, he grinned. When he saw Ziva lean menacingly over his desk during the last three verses of "Heartbreaker" though, it faltered slightly.

His stunning partner came up behind him and whispered in his ear, "I'd take that song seriously if I were you."

"Oh, really? Which part?" DiNozzo grinned as he twisted his head around to look at her.

"I'd say all of it, but especially the warning," Ziva replied, her fingers inching toward a pencil on his desk.

Her fingers never made it.

Before Ziva quite knew what was happening, Tony had grabbed her wrist, twisted it behind her back, and had her on the floor. She quickly retaliated by kneeing him in a spot that shall remain unnamed.

"HEY! KNOCK IT OFF!" Gibbs roared from the stairwell.

The two NCIS agents froze and swiftly moved apart.

From all around the room, McGee saw agents cashing in their bets. The computer geek grinned and leaned back in his chair, settling his feet on his desk.

When Ziva was safely back at her desk—safely meaning no more bodily harm to her or her partner—Tony glanced over at McGee. With a smirk, he asked, "So, McTunes, you have any more good music on there?"