Chapter Thirty-Six: Secret

We lead two different lives

Just like two lines that never cross

And here we are together

Standing closer than we are

But we're still standing here untouched

Too scared to make a move

We want so much to touch

And we can't wait forever

We know it's dangerous

For us to be together

NCIS Probationary Special Agent Ziva David glanced over at her partner, Tony DiNozzo. The team was at their latest crime scene, and as crime scenes go, it was quite clean. Of course, that meant there wasn't a whole lot of physical evidence. Besides, it was almost eight at night, and all she wanted was to be at home . . . in bed . . . with her partner. . . .

They lead two different lives when they first met. She had been a Mossad officer assigned to the team and originally there to stop Gibbs from killing her half-brother, Ari. Of course, Tony had been his usual wise-cracking, movie-quoting self. But now, they were standing closer than they should be. Ziva was too scared to move, especially since they were with Gibbs, McGee, Ducky, and a dead body. She could tell DiNozzo wanted to touch her as much as she wanted to hold him. They couldn't wait forever. Still, both the probie and the senior field agent knew it was dangerous for them to be together.

How do we ever keep this secret

How do we keep it in the dark

And if we dare to taste our weakness

How could we tear ourselves apart

Why do we keep this love together

Didn't we know right from the start

That we would have to keep this secret

Or forever stay apart

Later that night, the team was finally cut loose from the crime scene, and Tony and Ziva headed straight to her apartment. Lying in bed after rigorous physical activities, Ziva glanced over at her co-worker and lover and wondered, How do we ever keep this secret? How do we keep it in the dark? If they dared to taste their weakness, how could the two NCIS agents tear themselves apart?

Tony shifted closer to her—in sleep, of course—and draped an arm over her waist. Ziva let it lie there as she finally drifted into sleep. Her last thought was, Why do we keep this love together?

I watch you coming to me

Walking in the pouring rain

I can't help looking at you

Wishing I could stay away

So many times I've tried in vain

To close my eyes and pray it goes away

But I can't stop myself from feeling

To let you go would be too much

For me to take

The next morning, they were back at the crime scene, scanning it for any more evidence, and rain was coming down hard. Gibbs had sent DiNozzo to buy him a fresh cup of coffee, and Ziva hoped he would be back soon.

The sound of footsteps in the rain forced her to look up. Her breath caught in her throat as she saw Tony walking towards her, soaked through with rain. Ziva couldn't tear her gaze away, but she wished she could stay away from him. He'd haunted her dreams for as long as she knew him, which was to say six years now. So many times Ziva had tried in vain to close her eyes and pray her feelings for Tony would go away, but she couldn't stop herself from feeling that would be too much for her to take.

How do we ever keep this secret

How do we keep it in the dark

And if we dare to taste our weakness

How could we tear ourselves apart

Why do we keep this love together

Didn't we know right from the start

That we would have to keep this secret

Or forever stay apart

Once again, Ziva found herself wondering how she and Tony would keep their secret and keep the fact they were lovers in the dark. Why did they keep this love together? Didn't the two of them know that they would have to keep this secret or forever stay apart?

Ooo, I can't help thinking

When I look into your eyes

How much I need you

It's so hard to hide

Tony handed Gibbs his new coffee and turned in Ziva's direction, his eyes holding hers. She couldn't help thinking how much she needed him. It was so hard to hide in front of Gibbs and McGee, but she managed when all she wanted was to pounce and take them both to the floor. However, since their love was forbidden in Gibbs' eyes, she couldn't.

Ziva hated Rule Twelve.

How do we ever keep this secret

How do we keep it in the dark

And if we dare to taste our weakness

How could we tear ourselves apart

How do we keep this love together

Didn't we know right from the start

That we would have to keep this secret

Or forever stay apart