Chapter Twenty-Two: What He Don't Know

Ziva David exchanged a worried glance with Anthony DiNozzo (who liked to be called Tony by his friends and co-workers) as they slunk after Leroy Jethro Gibbs, the team's leader. Their other partner, Timothy McGee, noticed the look they gave each other, and then the anxious glance they gave Gibbs. What's that about? he wondered.

He don't know that you been coming around

He don't know that we been out of bounds

The things we do are better left unsaid

Cause you and me can never keep our heads

In fact, what McGee didn't know—or Gibbs, Ziva and Tony hoped—was that the two partners had been meeting secretly for weeks. A smile came to Ziva's face as she recalled the night she'd had with DiNozzo. Hopefully, Gibbs didn't know that they'd broken Rule #12 and gone way out of line. She thought, We never could keep our heads.

What he don't know

Will never hurt him

What he don't know

Is I have changed

It's just a matter of time

Till it all comes down down down

Till he hears

The stories going round round round

What he don't know

What he don't know

Swiftly casting a look at Gibbs, she crept over to the side of the MCRT van, signaling for Tony to follow her. As soon as Gibbs and McGee couldn't see or hear them, she murmured, "We don't have to tell Gibbs, you know. What he doesn't know won't hurt him. Besides, he doesn't know that I have changed."

Tony nodded in agreement; then his green gaze grew serious. "I know, Ziva. I wasn't planning on telling, but it's just a matter of time till it all comes down and he hears the stories going around. What will we do then?"

Baby I'm open to your every suggestion

Nothing you ask is out of the question

Things I wouldn't do ya got me doin'

And oh what I wouldn't do for you

Ziva cast wildly around for a solution, then shook her head in defeat. "I don't know, but I'm open to your every suggestion. Nothing you ask is in of the question."

"It's 'out of the question,' Ziva," Tony corrected.

"Look, I know I got the question thing right! But, Tony, there's nothing I wouldn't do for you." She could feel her gaze grow soft as she looked at him, trailing her index finger up his arm.

"Ziva . . ." he started to say before losing control and pressing his lips to hers. They only broke apart when they heard Gibbs' footsteps coming towards them.

By the time the silver-haired team leader's head came around the corner of the van, the two agents had busied themselves with climbing in. "Huh," he muttered to himself as he climbed into the driver's seat. "I wonder what's gotten into them."

What he don't know

Will never hurt him

What he don't know

Is I have changed

It's just a matter of time

Till it all comes down down down

Till he hears

The stories going round round round

What he don't know

What he don't know

What he don't know

Will never hurt him

What he don't know

Is I have changed

It's just a matter of time

Till it all comes down down down

Till he hears

The stories going round round round

Abby, the Gothic forensic scientist, who had decided to come along, heard him, popped up outside the window, and remarked, "Haven't you heard the stories going around about those two?"

"What stories?"

She grinned wickedly. "You don't know? Remind me to fill you in when you get back from the crime scene."

Before Gibbs could say anything else, she turned and headed back to her lab.

What stories? Gibbs wondered again.

What he don't know

What he don't know

What he don't know

What he don't know