Chapter 40

Shehnaaz checked herself in the mirror again and again and again and again, she wasn't only going to see Sidharth but his entire family today. It was a huge thing, attending his sister's baby shower. She wanted to look good, not too good to grab unnecessary attention but subtly good to leave behind an impressive impression. The task wasn't very difficult, she knew a simple salwar suit would do but the moment she was about to leave for the venue, she grew conscious and wondered if she would have looked better without the chubby belly she's got now. She was adjusting her dupatta constantly to hide her stomach that might show up every time she would sit.

Argh! She scolded herself for having those midnight snacks, the reason behind that plump around her curves. She thought a lot about it before convincing herself that the family would accept herself for her personality and nature and not for her figure and if they didn't, it would be their loss. Keeping that in mind, she grabbed the box she got for Preeti and left for her place.

Her confidence was shaken the moment she reached, the house was elegantly decorated with flowers, the people, mostly ladies, sitting around in rich silk sarees and chatting in hushed voices. There was a small line of ladies, applying a tint of haldi kumkum on Preeti's forehead with the pad of their fingers as per a ritual. The ladies and their gift boxes intimidated her. She was having a hard time with this, the difference in financial classes between her and Sidharth, the two were raised differently with different cultural norms and expectations. The term ultra wealthy was very subjective, his family had been into business for years, was certainly very wealthy by almost every definition and order of magnitude more wealthy than she or her family had ever been. It was a struggle to fit in and to meet the expectations of his family.

How she needed to dress for events she was unfamiliar with. How to mingle with people that were so different from her, without the similarities of connection of the job she held and where she stood on the social and economic ladder. She always felt a little intimidated by such occasions, it was a feeling she was used to. Even though she was usually known as being a very confident person, around these people her confidence dwindled.

"Hii, you remember me?!" A girl dressed in ethnics showed up and it took Shehnaaz a second to recognise her.

"Akriti, of course I remember. Kaisi hai?" She greeted her.

"Mai badhiya, andar aao. I'm so glad ki auntiyon ke alawa koi toh aaya." Akriti chuckled.

"Mama ko dhund rahe ho? Actually he's kind of busy, mausi ne abhi unko kaam se bheja kahi." She said, answering the unasked question.

"Oh. Acha, ye box fridge me rakhwa dena please. Fresh cupcakes hai." Shehnaaz told her.

"Okay, do mai hi rakh aati hu." Akriti took the box from her and went towards the kitchen. Shehnaaz stood there for a while, checking the time and waiting for Akriti to return.

"Hey, kab aayi tu?" Sidharth joined her, in a pair of Tshirt and jeans.

"Abhi aayi. Mai thik dikh rahi hu na?" She couldn't help but ask. It was the challenge of trying to demonstrate to his family that she was worthy of their son. She had the hint, she wasn't, no matter how nice they were to her face.

However, Sidharth had the exact opposite thoughts. He was probably seeing her in ethics for the very first time and he was in love with her look. Her baby pink coloured patiala salwar, enhancing her curves while her dupatta covered half of it, and beautifully opened hair. Her face had an adorable smile but it supposedly wasn't to the fullest. It would have been much better if he could simply kiss her, get a taste of those plump pink lips and hug her real tight. Ah, he couldn't.

"Bohot achi! Now come, I'll introduce you to my Mom." He replied, keeping his palm behind her small back and guiding her towards the corner towards his mother. Rita Ji was lovingly watching the function where the ladies wished her daughter all the best with her upcoming baby.

Strings Of Loveजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें