Chapter 9

I was disconcerted by the weight of his tone. Honestly, I really don't care about him getting married. I only like him, that's all. I'm not in love with him, and even if hypothetically, I love him, I will never snatch him. I am a woman with respect.

"I have millions of ways to cease the wedding."

Nanliit ang mga mata ko sa kanya. Hindi ko sya maintindihan. Ang labo. I saw him looking for books for his girlfriend, he must have loved her so much and now I learned that he is marrying but then he's saying that he could cease it anytime.

"I don't want to talk about it," I told him. Sasakit lang ang ulo ko kung pag-uusapan namin yan. It's his business. I don't care.

"No, let's talk about it. I want to hear your opinion," he persisted.

"No," madiin na sabi ko. "Let's just finish dinner, Alfe."

Hindi na pinilit ni Alfe kaya ay naging payapa ang isip ko. I can already conclude a thing based on his actions and stares. I couldn't. I will always choose to serve Papa. And, Alfe should take this lightly. Hindi naman kasi mabigat sa puso ko, we just met.

I don't want to change anything that has been decided over a man. Alfe is just Alfe. Nothing special.

Hindi ko naubos ang pagkain sa plate ko. Nawalan na ako ng gana. Gusto ko ng umalis dito. I couldn't stay here longer with Alfe. I don't want to worsen things, I don't want to get things out of hand, my feelings get out of hand.

"I'm done eating," I said as I wiped my mouth with the napkin. He's almost finished eating so I believe it's not rude.

"I'm sorry," he responded.

"Why?"

"I ruined the dinner."

Ngumiti ako ng tipid. "I ate too much this afternoon. I couldn't eat more."

"Can you spend the rest of the night here with me?"

Kumunot ang noo ko.

"It's not what you think. I mean... stay here. Watch the ocean, watch the people, watch the sky... whatever... with me. Kahit hindi na tayo mag-usap... dito ka lang muna."

"Kailangan ko ng bumalik sa cabin. I will join my friends with their plans tonight. I won't be spending much time with my friends after graduation so I couldn't waste it here."

"Do you mean to say that staying here with me is a waste of time?" he asked with a glint of blues.

"No... I mean... my point is, I'm here because of them. We just happened to bump into each other here." I couldn't find the right words, any way to make it not sound rude, I failed. "I'm sorry. I know you aren't here for me, too. Let's just go back to what really our business here is."

"You know what. It's not bad to be ambiguous sometimes."

"What's the point of acting dodgy? I wasn't educated to do that," I told him.

"It seems like I couldn't stop you."

Alfe paid for our dinner and then we both exited the restaurant. I stopped walking and turned my back to face him. "I'm gonna go. I'm delighted to meet you here, Alfe."

"Hindi na ba magbabago ang isip mo?" he asked.

I sighed. "Enjoy your cruise. Good night."

Tumalikod na ako bago pa makasagot si Alfe. Ayokong mapilit na naman nya akong manatili sa tabi nya. He likes to demand things and I see that he's used to get whatever he wants. I should leave before I gave in to him.

I don't know where exactly Dafiah and the others are right now so I went straight to our cabin. This is the only place I know to spend time and wait for them. I removed the scarf around my neck and fell onto the bed.