Chapter 13

It's Thursday, Art picked me up early at 9 in the morning. Mia is opening her cafe today and she invited me. Gladly, Papa allowed me to go out. And of course with Art. Papa said that Alfe was supposed to drive me today and hang out together, but he was busy.

The cafe is located in Vier so it'll take a couple of minutes to get there. The weather is fine today but it's a little cloudy... cotton-like clouds.

"Don't you have another job to do? I can basically drive myself to Vier. It's daylight so nothing bad is really going to happen to me," I told him as I hopped into the passenger seat.

"Mawawalan ako ng trabaho kapag hindi kita babantayan," sagot nya.

"Well... I could pay you by not guarding me and letting me drive by myself," I told him. "You can't literally protect. Remember what happened that night? We were both down," I said without sounding offensive, but I guess I failed.

"I was being careless that night. I know what to do now," he said in defense.

Napangiwi ako. "Really?"

"Just pray that we won't be dealing with some kind of trouble today," he said.

"You know what, Art. You're strict."

"I'm just following orders."

"I also follow orders but I'm not strict. Our age is close, so I thought we could share the same interest. You act like Papa."

"I don't have plans to be friends with you if that's what you're trying to offer. I am your bodyguard, that's the only thing I'm playing."

"Why? It's fine with me to be friends as well."

"So you could take advantage? No," matigas nyang sabi.

Nanlaki ang mga mata ko. "No, I'm not like that!"

"What could be the other reason?" he asked.

"I just want to make friends. I didn't have many friends here."

"Count me out," he said.

Ang sama din naman nitong si Art. Nakikipagkaibigan lang naman ako. Hindi ko naman sya gagamitin para makalabas ako ng mag-isa lang. Ang obedient ko kaya. Sumusunod ako sa lahat ng sinasabi ni Papa.

Nagkibit balikat nalnag ako. Ngayon lang ulit ako makakapunta ng Vier kaya ay excited ako. Sa kwento ni Art ay madami na ang buildings, restaurant at shops. I'm looking forward to Dafiah coming here, she would really enjoy sightseeing and shopping.

Even when we're approaching the main city of Soralia, the air is still so clear. No signs of pollution. However, I felt a little bit strange. It feels like yesterday like the city just changed into a snap. It's sad that I don't have that much memory of Vier. I only have the chance to come here before when my Mama forces me to go shopping with her.

Speaking of Mama, she contacted me once last Tuesday. She only told me that she'll see me once she returns here to Soralia. I didn't know that she is having a trip with her family abroad, to Argentina. She told me that my grandparents were asking for me. She also said that she wanted to bring me with her but she was worried that Papa won't allow it.

I would rather stay here with Papa than go with her. I'm not acquainted that much with her new husband and neither don't know how to act in front of him. With my grandparents, I'll just send them a mail or postcards. 

I reckon I arrived late. The store is a little bit crowded when I came and it was a quarter to 10. I recognized some faces but I forgot their names. I'm just sure we were in the same high school. Some just threw glances and never bothered smiling at me.