Chapter 14

What I expect from the crowd's reaction are cheering and congratulating but that's not what happened. Yung kakilala lang ni Papa ang tumango at pumalakpak, pero karamihan ay dismayado sa narinig. Naging pilit ang ngiti ko, ayokong mapahiya.

I'm not ugly, I'm smart, and I have a reputable parent so I don't understand why most of them look so disappointed. However, I glanced over at Papa to gain confidence.

"It's a timely coincidence that they found each other in Australia," Signora continued. "They first met there and unforeseeably fell in love with each other."

Nagulat ako sa sinabi ng Signora. We clearly didn't mention that last Saturday over lunch. Why is she making that up?

I look at Signora's alluring face and sincere expression.

"I am overjoyed. It's destiny. Who would have thought that they are promised to each other? They met as strangers, became friends, and turned into lovers. Look how perfect they are," Signora cheered.

It is so awkward knowing what really is the truth. I and Alfe are never close to a romantic relationship. Alfe, next to me is only standing like a statue. He's definitely letting his Mama bubbles rubbish talk.

Though, for the people who don't know, it doesn't sound rubbish. Given Signora's presence and grace, it all sounds so appealing.

"What did you tell your mother?" I whispered to Alfe.

"Nothing like this," bulong nya pabalik.

Signora raised her glass. "Here's to the brilliant and rich future of the family."

Everyone raised their glasses to acknowledge Signora. I can feel that they disagree with me being engaged to Alfe but they don't really have the courage to question Signora.

It shouldn't be my concern whether they like me or not but it somehow slowly rooted in me. Hindi naman nila ako kilala, ngayon ko lang din sila nakasalamuha kaya hindi dapat malaking bagay sa akin ang reaksyon nila tungkol dito. Ginagawa ko ito para sa Papa ko at hindi para sa kanila.

"I have few words to say," Alfe suddenly said. "I can see that most of you aren't pleased with this but I just want to attest that this is my choice and I want this to happen. This is so sudden, I know, and it must be a surprise to some since I've been consistently rejecting marriage and relationships." He paused for a moment. "I didn't expect it also myself, but... I couldn't refuse."

Signora cracked a soundly laugh. "Who can refuse the enticing beauty of Chantrea?"

Are they being serious right now? Why do I have this itching feeling that they're just making a show? I should be happy, right? That this is a success. Alfe didn't leave me standing up. Having said that, I couldn't make eye contact with people right now. Standing here next to Alfe, forcing myself to smile and staring flat are the least I expect to do tonight.

"Why are you showing that look on your face, Trea? You also want this, don't you?" Alfe whispered.

I took a deep breath. "Yes. This is what I want."

"Good." Hinapit lalo ni Alfe ang katawan ko palapit sa kanya. Hindi nya na naman kailangan pang gawin to, masyado na akong nakadikit sa kanya.

Dumako ang tingin ko kina Gus at Stav sa baba na mahinang nagtawanan. What are they laughing at? Nanliit ang mga mata ko nang pareha silang lumingon sa main. 

Nagpatuloy sa pagsasalita si Signora pero ibinaling ko ang atensyon kay Alfe. "I didn't see your brother. Where is he?"

"Why are you asking for him?" kuno't noong tanong nya.