Chapter 22

I was thunderstruck. I'm now in my room with Dafiah rewinding what just happened half an hour ago. She decided to stay with me. The bomb must have scared her too. No one would think that this would happen, especially her. I told her that it was getting so dangerous here in Soralia when she wondered why Alfe's men were with us the last time we hung out outside. I never thought that it would happen to this extent.

It ruined today's event. Today was here and there, it started with uncertainty... ascended to a good conversation with Alfe, and then ended up plunged with a surprise bomb. I think this kind of event has made a portion in the course of my life here in Soralia. My life is not my life if it didn't have any out on a limb incidents. Is it right if I expect more of this? Should I get used to this?

Because of what happened, Signora concluded the event. She was so devastated. She blamed almost everyone, mainly my father. She claimed that it was my father's fault that that bomb made it through the mansion. I wanted to defend him, but I couldn't. Baka mas pagbuntunan nya ng galit si Papa kung magsasalita pa ako.

My heart hadn't stopped thudding hard. I'm still so anxious and distressed that I begin to think that there might be other bombs hidden somewhere in the mansion. There's no safe place, I thought. My tears streamed down my cheeks the second I saw Alfe enter the mansion after I waited for a long period outside defusing the bomb. I ran and jumped to hug him. Those minutes thinking about him were torturous and I hate it. It scared me out of my mind.

"It's fine now," he whispered.

"You made me worried," I uttered. "How could you just suggest defusing it yourself? It scared me!"

He chuckled and hugged me tightly.

"It's not funny!" I rebuked.

"It was a piece of cake. The person who sent that bomb gave me so much time, he could have set it in a shorter time," he said.

"Kahit na! Remember your vow!" I cried.

"Oo," sabi nya atsaka humiwalay sa pagkakayakap sa akin. Sinapo nya ang mukha ko at pinunasan ang mga luha sa mga pisngi ko.

I looked up at him sniffing soundly.

"I'd be more discreet now that I have a worried wife," he added to ease me but I just can't.

"Why is this happening, Alfe? When will this end? It's getting worse," I affrightedly cried, tugging his dress shirt like a kid. People who are important to me grew in numbers, it's not just my father anymore... there's my husband in front of me.

He smiled, comforting me and showing an 'it's gonna be all right look'. He said, "I wish I could let all your worries go, baby." He cupped my face which fit perfectly in his palms. "One thing I could swear other than my vow is to keep you out of harm's way no matter what."

I shook my head like it was the stupidest idea I'd heard in my entire life. "Defusing that bomb was so reckless of you."

"I've done it a lot of times," he said with pride, like doing it is like running his fingers through his hair whenever he's serious about something, like that time I was watching him studying how to do massage, like those times I find him reading a newspaper at the breakfast table waiting for me. He sounded arrogant but he wasn't arrogant at all. He's just stating a fact.

"I guess I couldn't do anything to hinder you from doing such reckless things," I said in a low tone.

"This is my profession. I deal with this kind of thing. So I only want you to trust me... trust me that I'd come back to you all and well. It's my vow, remember?" he reassured me in a very convincing voice.

I nodded at him, though it didn't give me a bit of space to loosen up. I'm still worried. Always worried about him. It's too dangerous. I may not know much about his profession but a lot could happen and... he's only one. He's not a machine, he's a human.