Chapter 48

"Mayor Alvarado was arrested," Art reported to me when he came early in the morning to the mansion.

"I will have the last trial this Friday and he'll be jailed," I told him as I took a bite of my toast.

"How about the Don?"

"He had to serve two more years, I guess. We'll know this Friday."

"Will you stay here for good?"

"Hindi ko alam."

"Wala ka na namang trabahong babalikan doon, diba? You can open an office in Vier."

"Wala pa akong klarong plano na gagawin pagkatapos ng kay Papa. I think I'll rest for the meantine. I have exhausted myself with my anticipation for this case."

"I see. You deserve it," he said.

"And, have you heard about my wedding soon?" I smiled, filling my eyes with excitement. "I don't know how big it will be but Mama said the preparation will take months."

"Mama?" he asked.

"Signora," I said without the need for an explanation.

He smiled. "Mabuti kung ganun. Nababagay ka dito, Trea. Zamora doesn't live here in Buenacarte, they're here but here is not where they really live."

I nodded. "How did you know?"

"Napansin ko lang."

"Don't worry, Art. I'm a phone call away. We stay friends even though I don't stay here that much."

"That's not what I mean," he said and then looked away.

"I heard about Dafiah," I said which made him turn to me. "She's in Manila right now. I saw her at a conference but she only joined one time. I didn't get to talk to her though. From my source, she's residing in Manila for work."

"That's good for her." Only he said but I could read from his eyes that he has a lot of questions. I didn't notice this before but now, it's quite clear that he's curious.

"From my source, she's alone."

There was hope but it vanished before I could even blink. "She's in a good state. That's all I want for her."

I smiled. "Yes. That's what we want." I paused. "But... you can come to me to Manila. I have papers to fix before I settle for good. I think I may need an assistant, my husband would agree."

"I'll see."

"Have ample time to think about it."

The day of the last trial came. I was nervous but I was fully prepared. It was concluded well with Mayor Alvarado in jail and my father having 2 years remaining in his sentence as predicted. It might not be as successful as I wanted it to be, but at least I am a step ahead of my goal.

It's quite strange I haven't heard once from Leonetti now that I'm here in Soralia. It's not like I want to see him or reach out to him, but it's strange. I wonder what happened to him. His man just got arrested and he didn't do anything to protect him.

I have to go back to Manila so there was a delay in the preparation. Signora, Mama was very frustrated about it. She said she had informed all her friends about it already. But she doesn't have a choice but to follow in accordance with my schedule.

Hindi naabutan ng isang taon bago kami nakabalik ulit ng Soralia para mangyari ang planong kasal namin ni Alfe. I don't know how to put it but it's gonna be grand yet simple. It'll take place in the biggest and oldest church here located in Grieta.

Alfe's family are all here. The mansion is quite crowded which is rare to happen. Alfe's family from Italy that I met were here, from his uncles to aunts and there were Franco, Aurora, Rametta but Nonna. There were kids too who are all running around the drawing room, playing while the adults were chitchatting.