Chapter 23

"Are you okay?" Dafiah asked me.

"Of course, I am," I answered and gave her a reassuring smile.

We're at the front of the mansion right now. Art is already waiting for her in the car to send her to the house. I suggested staying here longer so it's less trouble for her but she insisted to leave. Sabi nya ay ayaw nyang makihati kay Alfe sa akin at babalik nalang dito bukas. If I know, she just like the idea of Art driving her here.

"We've got a lot of rooms here. You can just hop into each room every night if you want to," pilit ko pa sa kanya. I leaned closer and then whispered, "Alfe will side us once Signora learns about it."

Tumawa sya atsaka bumulong din. "Art is staying in your house. Sya lang mag-isa kapag wala si Tito Don kaya ay sasamahan ko."

Natatawa akong umirap sa kanya. "Then go away already."

She smirked. "Have fun with your husband tonight." She winked before turning around to hop into Art's car.

"Mag-ingat kayo!" sigaw ko sa kanila atsaka kumaway.

I saw Alfe the moment I swung around to get inside the mansion. He's crossing his arms, leaning against their huge pillar on the side of the entrance as he watches me. I smiled at him before I walked the steps toward him.

He may be waiting for me. We've done eating dinner and it's time to head to bed now. I recalled our conversation last night when he asked me to share the same bedroom with him starting tonight. It's not a bad idea but... I'm troubled.

He reached out for my left shoulder and caress it softly. "Are you ready to rest?"

I nodded. There's a lot going on in my head right now and I want to hit the bed already. My conversation with the man a while ago made my head hurt, I think I'm going to have a headache, my head is so heavy.

Alfe put his arms around me as we walked back inside. "Do you need anything before we go to bed? Ipapahanda ko at ipapadala sa kwarto."

Tumigil ako sa paglalakad at nag-aalangang humarap kay Alfe. "About that." I paused. He's waiting for me to continue. "I think I'd just stay in my room for now." I saw how Alfe's expression changed from bright to dark so I looked away.

"Okay... Whatever you want," he said calmly.

He didn't ask for the reason, he just agreed. Hindi na nagsalita si Alfe hanggang sa mahatid nya ako sa kwarto ko. Pagkasarado ng pinto ay agad akong tumalon sa kama at humiga. Itinalukbong ko ang kumot at ipinikit ang mga mata.

I don't know how long had passed and I don't seem to be falling asleep anytime. My eyelids were heavy and my body was tired yet fully awake. I drag the blanket away from my body and sat up. I searched for my slippers before going out of my room.

It's dark in the hallway. It's a moonless night but the shade from the night sky brought a little light across the stairs to the foyer. It's even quieter at night and it's making me think of a lot of things. The mansion's huge, obviously, and it makes me feel distant from anyone or anything. The space... is slowly growing in me like a bane, it's familiar yet strange.

I'm supposed to be so smart but... plainly I don't know anything. After my conversation with the man they caught, he gave me information about what my father is dealing with right now and what Barzetti's real intentions are.

"What did my father do to you? or the Barzetti's? Is that the reason why you brought the bomb?" tanong ko sa lalaki.

"Ako ay tauhan lang din. Wala namang direktang masamang ginawa sa akin ang Vice Governor," sagot nya.