Chapter 31

My mind is in such bad shape right now. I won't make a decision as long as I haven't talked to Signora myself. I have to hear her side about this to weigh things. As much as possible, I'd like to avoid impulsiveness with my decision.

I have told Mayor that before I could tell him my decision, I'd like to see Signora first. He only nodded at me before he left. My father isn't here yet and Dafiah told me that Alfe was here and then went out to look for me. Mukhang nagkakasalisihan kami.

"Tito Don ordered Art to tell you to take care of this," Dafiah said as she dragged a black duffel bag from the corner. "Kapag nandito na daw si Alfe ay sumama tayong umuwi ng mansion."

I didn't answer Dafiah but I walked to her to check what was inside the bag. I already have a theory of what inside is though I still checked it. I sighed when I confirmed it and I heard Dafiah gasp. She surprisingly picked one bar of gold and tested it with her own eyes.

"Put it down, Dafiah. We are not bringing it with us," I told her as I grabbed the bar from her and put it back in the bag.

"Why not? Sayang naman," naghihinayang sabi nya.

"Papa will surely safeguard this on his own," I uninterestedly said. "I'll wait for Alfe downstairs," I added and then flipped out of the room.

Lottie is in the guest room right now, sleeping so early. She said that Van will be back tomorrow and so she'll stay until tomorrow with us, katulong lang ang kasama nya sa bahay nila kaya mas mabuting dito muna sya sa amin. As I was flipping through the pages of the magazine I am holding, Art came around.

"Ihahatid ko na kayo sa mansion," aniya.

"Hihintayin ko si Alfe. Sasabay ako sa kanya," tanggi ko. "You can wake Lottie up and drive her first or Dafiah or both of them," I shrugged.

He didn't say anything and left. I continued flipping through the pages when I got bored and threw the magazine at the coffee table. I was drowning in my thoughts when I heard a loud gunshot. I don't know if it was really a gunshot so I stood up and peered through the window.

I saw many men outside. Hindi ko alam kung mga tauhan ba ni Papa o ni Alfe na nagbabantay. Some came closer to the house while the others ran toward the gate. Nagtaka ako. What is happening outside?

Sa kaba at gulat ko ay napasigaw ako nang may humawak sa braso ko. Akala ko kung sino. It confirmed that something bad is really happening outside when I saw Art's worried face. Nanlaki ang mga mata ko nang bumaba ang mga mata ko sa hawak nyang pistol.

"What's happening?" I snapped at him.

"We're attacked," he calmly answered. "Follow me. We'll escape."

"Trea!"

Nag-angat ako ng tingin sa second floor atsaka ko nakita si Dafiah. Her face is paler than ever. I instantly run toward her to hold her. Art followed us and advised us to stay close together.

Ang dalawang putok ng baril kanina ay nasundan ng mas marami pa. Pareha kaming napasigaw ni Dafiah at napayuko nang biglang natamaan ng bala ang salaming bintana sa baba dahilan ng pagkabasak nito.

"Stay in your room," Art said as he guarded us toward the room.

May dumating na isang lalaking nakaitim. "Alecar's on his way here."

Medyo nakahinga ako ng malalim nang marinig ang pangalan ni Alfe. I prayed Alfe to be quick to arrived. I need him here.

Parehong nanginginig ang kamay namin ni Dafiah hanggang sa makapasok kami ng kwarto. Nawala yung lalaki kanina pero may isang sumunod sa amin na galing sa kabilang direksyon.