Chapter 26

The first thing I did when I reached the house was to search for Papa. I have to talk to him. I want to let my head be less disturbed by talking to him. He's all I wanted to talk to right now. No one else.

Nang wala si Papa sa kwarto nya ay agad akong pumunta sa office nya dito sa bahay. I didn't bother to knock and just stormed inside unattended. I found Papa at his desk, reading some papers.

Surprised was evident on his face. He adjusted his glasses as he glanced over at me. I closed our distance by running toward him. He dropped his paper and stood up. When he did I instantly wrap my arms around Papa.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

I cried. "I can't stay in the mansion, Papa. That place is so dreary."

"What are you talking about?" Papa pushed me enough to look at me.

"How can they protect me when they're the ones who kill? They will hurt you. They will bring you down. They will put an end to all, to everything you worked hard for Papa. They are bad people."

"What happened? In the middle of the night. How did you get here?" nag-aalalang tanong ni Papa.

"They killed the guy they captured at the wedding. They killed him!" nanginginig kong sabi kay Papa. The image of the guy was still very clear, the way the blood flowed, how it formed a bubble. I don't think I could ever forget about that.

Pinaghila ako ng upuan ni Papa atsaka pinaupo. Tahimik ko ng sinunod si Papa at umiiyak pa din. Narinig ko syang nagtawag ng katulong para ipagkuha ako ng tubig bago sya umupo sa harap ko.

"They are bad people, Papa. You shouldn't have trusted them."

Papa took a deep breath before saying, "I'll listen. What is on your mind right now? Everything."

Kinurot-kurot ko ang mga daliri ko bago ako sumagot kay Papa. "I talked to the guy. He told me that Signora is the root of all of this. She's evil, Papa, and she'd do anything to bring you down. They're not really protecting us. All of this is according to her plan. You cannot let her succeed."

"Ang tanging gusto ko lang ay maging maayos ka. Haharapin ko kung ano man ang mangyayari."

"Hindi ako magiging maayos sa kanila, Papa. I couldn't believe what I saw with my own two eyes. I'm scared. I don't want any of this, Papa," I cried.

"Ano pa ang sinabi nung lalaking nakausap mo bago sya namatay?"

"Is there another reason why you married me off to Alfe?" I asked, hoping I could get a different answer other than for my protection.

"So, no one can touch you," he said.

Napapikit ako sa irita dahil pabalik-balik nalang. Pakiramdam ko ay may ibang rason kung bakit nya ako pinakasal sa mga Barzetti. Masama ang kutob ko na sa kauna-unahang pagkakataon ay mali si Papa sa desisyon nya.

"I'll call to the mansion. Ipapakuha kita dito," sabi ni Papa sabay tayo.

Agad kong inabot ang braso nya para tigilan. "Ayoko. Ayokong bumalik doon, Papa. Dito lang ako kung nasaan kayo. Natatakot ako sa mansion. Pakiramdam ko ay makikita ko ang imahe ng patay na lalaki sa mansion kahit saang sulok. Ayoko, Papa."

He sighed. "Just for tonight."

"No, Papa. I choose to stay here. I'm not going back. I couldn't afford to live with a person who kill. Alfe killed him. He's a murderer," I insisted.

Nakita ko ang pagkunot ng noo ni Papa dahil sa sinabi ko.

"He ordered to throw the body like it was nothing," I added in lack of trust. "I can't believe he can do such a thing. That's not an act of a good person. It's a work of evil." I sobbed. "I'm not questioning your decisions, but you made a wrong one here, Papa. You could've at least picked a decent man. A man like you."