Chapter 21: house pet

TW
Please let me know if I missed any

Enjoy the fluff

(A few days later)

Techno

I walked up to my house and unlocked the door, keys jangling as I twisted the lock.

I opened the door, and quickly slipped into my house, feeling soft fur brush against my ankles.

Walking through my house I collected most of my things, Nyx following at my heels.

I set them all in a bag by the front door.

"Alright Nyx, let's go for a walk." I said, pinning my hair up into something like a ponytail.

The rule in Manburg was that all pets must be in a carrier or on a leash. I could never bring myself to strap a harness on Nyx, so carrier it is.

We took the train and I let Nyx out to walk beside me in District 8.

She trotted by my side, and no one questioned it.

I liked that about the outer districts. No one thought anything about anyone else, no one felt inferior or acted superior.

I can see why District 8 is one of the most beloved.

We walked back to the train, and Nyx jumped up on the seat, her ears perked up, attentive as always.

The electronic bell chimed and the doors closed, the train began to move. Curled up next to me, partly because it was a 40 minute ride, and partly so she doesn't slide off the seat.

The ride was pretty quiet for the most part. Most people who have day jobs are there 'till lunch, and most people who have night jobs are sleeping like sensible people.

Heros aren't sensible, we work almost 24/7 and have such screwed up sleep schedules that we can run on less than 30 minutes of sleep and a cup of coffee.

Foxes are even worse, Nyx can run on a 10 minute power nap and no coffee.

I would love to take her on missions, I met Kit and talked with her about the fox. She said they were very intelligent creatures, and they could be trained to do anything a dog could, but with the nimbleness of a cat.

The electronic bell chimed, and a robotic voice said "approaching District 1, Manburg station."

Nyx had heard it too, and was up from her shallow sleep, or whatever she was doing.

I opened her mesh bag, and she got in it, and curled up again, probably still bitter about the first time she had to sit in the carrier.

When I took her to Wilbur, I used my old dog carrier and it probably smelled like Floof and dust. I got her a mesh bag, with a semi solid bottom, and she enjoys it.

I zipped up the bag, and a few minutes later the doors opened and I stepped out of the train, and walked up the stairs.

Picking up the things from my house, I walked back to the shared house with Nyx and some other things, mostly games and clothes.

Wilbur and Icarus greeted me at the door. Sometimes Icarus reminds me of Tommy, loud, and always thinking of good comebacks.

Icarus had warmed up to us in the time he has been here, and maybe we have warmed up to the two vigilantes as well.

But I'm almost certain Vespa still hates us. He always talks stiffly towards us, and doesn't show much emotion, even without his face mask.

According to Wil and Icarus, Astro is recovering.

The three's relationship is really weird. They call each other teammates, but act like they've lived their whole lives together. Icarus has called them friends several times, and has even called them brothers once.

Vespa however, never slips up, he always has this walled off facade, and never has called them anything but teammates. Maybe it's a one sided relationship, or maybe he's just better at lying.

"What's that?" Icarus inquired, pointing at the mesh bag.

I put the bag on the ground, and unzipped it as Vespa walked past the entrance.

Nyx lept out, and the beeling boy paused and watched the fox walk around.

"She followed Atlas home twice." Wil said.

"From?" Icarus prompted.

"District 8." Wil and I said in unison.

The two vigilantes exchanged a look, and Vespa walked off again.

"I see you're back Atlas." Phil said, walking up behind Icarus, who's brown wings shuttered.

"Yeah, just had to pick up some things, and take Nyx on a walk." I said, gesturing to the fox.

Icarus excused himself quietly, and nearly bolted. Wil watched him, and then walked through the wall and into the main room.

Yeah, warmed up, isn't the same as trust.

___________________________

There is no good way to end this chapter.

Have a good day/night my friends! 💙