Under a Monochrome Sky

"Chapter 1..." Basil began.

Have you ever felt invisible? Like people couldn't see you, or notice you? Or even if they did, that they didn't care what you were doing, or didn't notice?

For me that's life all the time. I'm Asher Vanderbilt. Legally, at least. Everyone I meet thinks I'm someone different. I would tell you how I look, but each time I look in the mirror I am someone else. I left the empty house I decided to take residence in last night so I could think more clearly, but it seems all it did was make me monologue to a fictional audience.

Just feels like I'm living for nothing. Always has since mom died. She was the only one who always knew it was me. The only one who could see me. My dad too. He left when I was born, so I couldn't tell you what he looked like.

"To be or not to be" isn't the question for me. It's more like "To be and not to be." Like a statement.

I turned off the sidewalk into a gas station. The usual sight in New York. Everywhere you'd go every couple miles there'd be another.

Grabbed a random chocolate bar from the shelf, and asked the clerk for a pack of cigs. He acted real polite, I must've seemed like a real stand-up guy to him. Feels better than when they're scared of me.

Passed me the cigarettes, and I pulled out my credit card. Declined. Must've overcharged this one too. Clerk acted like it wasn't declined, and gave me my shit like they always do.

Put the cigarettes in my pocket, and grabbed the chocolate bar. Have to get a new card. Thankfully it was just some oil execs I was scamming this time.

Left the station and broke my card in half. No need for it now. There was some bank across the street. "TD Financial" sounded rich enough to lose some money.

Walked in and skipped the line. Nobody stopped me, of course. "Need a credit card." I said.

They took me to some room and I lit up a smoke as I waited. Some business guy came in, and I put my now finished cigarette out on the table.

"Hello, ah... sorry, what was your name?" He asked.

"Garbanzo Hernandez." I replied sarcastically.

"Nice to meet you Mr. Anderson." He said with his hand out for a handshake.

I shook it to be polite. His hand felt weirdly cold. "Now let's get started. He are all our plans, be sure to read them over carefully."

I stared at the top sheet saying "premium package" saying some dumb shit about a rewards plan.

"Just give me whatever lets me use the most of your stupid bank's money." I said sarcastically.

"I see, the supreme premium plan! Very good, just sign this document, along with putting your name, date of birth and place of residence." He responded cheerfully, placing a contract in front if me.

"Yeah, whatever asshole. Scamming your CEO is the only reason I'm here."

"Yes, you do need to put your year on the date of birth part." He responded.

I wrote some random bullshit on the paper. "George Washington. 04/20/1812. 88 Shit Avenue, Stupidtown, NY." Of course, the guy didn't think a single thing was wrong with the contract.

"Let me get your card, Mr. Anderson!"

"Yeah, sure." I replied.

He soon came back handed me the card. Started going on about some stupid corporate blathering. I just left. I got all I needed.

Used their bank machine to grab the "Extra $20 dollars" they were bragging about, and gave it to the homeless guy I saw outside.

Just like gas stations, they were everywhere in New York. Difference is, is that nobody gives money to the homeless.

They're just like me, in a way. Only difference is that they have no way to exploit the system like I do. They're easy to recognize, and can't just walk in somewhere and have everyone let them do what they want.

Government hates 'em. Government would hate me if they knew who I was.

A story like mine gets boring. There's no conflict, because nobody can really see me. It'd be like trying to hurt someone you can't see or hear. You're just punching air.

A thing like me could wear all red in crip territory. Shoot the president. Kill a man in a police station. The only reason I'm not some kind of serial killer or rapist is because I hate myself more than everyone else.

Walked up next to some prostitutes. Maybe they could help me at all. Usual caked on makeup women, but then a more interesting cute blonde boy. The type of one you could probably pick up and use like-

...

"M-Maybe we should've picked a different kind of book!" Basil stuttered out while blushing. Sunny sat up, and got off the bed.

"What is it Sunny?"

Sunny looked at Basil for a moment, then suddenly grabbed Basil under the arms. He picked him up.

This made it hard to hide the slight boner Basil got when he silently read ahead for a few moments. Sunny visibly blushed and set Basil back down, who placed the book on his lap.

The two stayed silent for a few moments. Maybe more than a few.

"Y-Yeah, the book kept referencing Western stuff. You probably wouldn't get a lot of it... I didn't get some of it either." Sunny awkwardly said.

"Y-Yeah, like, what are crips? Do they mean bulls?" Basil made a forced laugh.

Sunny made a small laugh too. He paused, before he had an idea. "Maybe next time, you could bring over one of your books about plants, and you could teach me about them!"

Basil excitedly smiled. "Would you really want me to?"

"Sure, sounds fun!" Sunny smiled back.

Basil stood up and held the book to his chest. "Would tomorrow work?!"

"Definitely." Sunny said, and he hugged his friend, trying to ignore the hard thing poking his leg. He blushed. It was cute.

Basil started trying to pull away and Sunny let go. Basil began standing in an awkward position to not expose the evidence of what the scene from the book likely contained.

He placed Overcast on the bed, and stood up straighter, clearly having finally made the blood get bored of making Basil uncomfortable.

"Al-Alright Sunny, I guess I'll get going... I'll see you tomorrow!"

Basil happily left to go home.

Sunny curiously picked up the open book.

"I couldn't help but slap it a few times, and tightly grabbed his ass as I fil-"

Sunny put the book back down blushing.

Holy shit...