Well isn't it funny? But not "haha" funny, but, y'know, "funny"

Aubrey sighed with irritation. Nothing specifically wrong was happening at that moment, but it was a case of Sunday syndrome. The feeling you get when it's Sunday and, sure, you have the day off, but tomorrow it's going to be back to school.

That feeling but magnified since it was the end of summer break. A lot changed for the better, a lot changed for the worse, and it all was just going to be washed away when she was only a day away from going to school, where the teachers couldn't care less about whatever stupid personal development you had over the break.

It was just going to go back to the routine. A "tummy covered, Aubrey! The dress code, Aubrey!" Maybe even getting in trouble for fighting a fight she didn't start... usually.

Aubrey's thoughts drifted to Sunny. Her mother was screaming at the TV a night ago, but between her annoying drunken ramblings, the TV said his name.

Maybe I should call him...

An attempt at a suave greeting was made by The Maverick. Mikhael was a total dork, but he was a good friend regardless. Plus, the free laughs made for a good time when he was around.

"Hey, The Maverick." Aubrey casually said, humouring his nickname. Kim rolled her eyes. "Kim was just trying to call her phone company to try and figure out why her calls keep getting cut off."

"THEY KEEP PUTTING ME ON HOLD. I CAN'T STAY ON HOLD BECAUSE IT CUTS ME OFF." Kim yelled, fiddling with her phone angrily.

"That sucks, dude... you should try calling them on your home phone, maybe." The Maverick suggested.

"The same FUCKING ISSUE IS ON MY PHONE!" Kim replied with frustration.

The Maverick raised his hands and stepped back. "Not a good day for Kim, got it." He then turned his attention to Aubrey, "Sorry for bein' late, Auberino, I got a call from the police."

Aubrey rolled her eyes, this time. "What, did one of the girls from school finally put a restraining order against you?" Aubrey snorted.

"Nah, they can't anyways, I talk, don't touch." The Maverick winked before continuing, "But yeah, anyway, apparently Sunny's in jail, they wanted to question me about some stuff, but I'm out of town, so they didn't really bother me other than for a couple questions."

Aubrey's mind had trouble processing The Maverick's run-on sentence. "Wh- did you say Sunny's in jail?!"

"Yeah, somebody died, and apparently they think he did it, I guess?" The Maverick replied, unsure.

"Pfft, knife boy's in jail? Surprised it took him this long." Kim remarked, before growling at her phone and throwing it on the ground.

Vance stifled a laugh before clearing his throat. "Look, man, Nearburgh police probably had good reason to suspect him. I'm sure he didn't really do... whatever he did. Don't worry, Aubrey, he'll be out soon enough." Vance patted Aubrey's shoulder reassuringly.

Aubrey remained un-reassured. Her mind raced with anxiety. Did Sunny turn himself in? No, then The Maverick wouldn't be called. Or would he be, because he was there during the recent days Sunny was there? But then he said he didn't know who died, they wouldn't even bother telling him someone died if it was about Mari.

The Maverick snapped his fingers. "Oh yeah! I got Basil's phone number back when I was in Nearburgh, I'll ask him what happened!" The Maverick promptly pulled his phone out of his pocket.

Aubrey rushed to speak. "P-Put the volume up!"

The Maverick complied, and the ringing tone started.

Basil answered, barely able to hide the fact he was just crying. "*snff* Y-yeah?"

"Hey, Basil! I heard someone died, but not who it was. Can you tell me?" The Maverick turned to group and gave a thumbs up with an open-mouthed smile.

Basil broke down into sobs. "P-polly." He mumbled, before hanging up. The empty beeping of being hung up on echoed for a bit.

"Wait, who?" Vance said with some confusion.

"I think that was like, Basil's mom or something." Kim answered with a shrug.

The Maverick dropped to his knees. A single tear fell from his eye. "NOOOOOOOO!!!" He screamed in anguish.

Kim flinched backwards from The Maverick's crestfallen screaming. "Jesus, what the fuck happened?"

"I will never love again. My true queen has been taken from this earth." The Maverick said, shedding another single tear.

"What?" Vance replied.

"AUTHOR, END THE CHAPTER HERE! THIS PAIN IS TOO MUCH TO BEAR!" The Maverick screamed into oblivion, begging for his suffering to be suspended.

"Is he like, talking in metaphors again?" Vance asked Kim.

"I mean, it looks like it, but usually his metaphors are more direct and... really stupid. That one would've been too smart and thought-provoking for him to have thought of." Kim answered, "Like, who is he speaking to? A god that he calls an author, as a sort of bid at deterministic philosophy?"

The Maverick pounded the ground with his fists, screaming. "Damn you! Damn you all to hell! You maniacs!"

"Okay, that one was a reference, I know that one." Vance shook his head, "But honestly, I took the author bit as being a bit less spiritual. More like, y'know, what if our entire lives are just dictated? Pre-written as stories by higher dimensional beings."

Kim turned to Vance.

"Are you high?"