Right by my side

Sunny heard his mother calling for him. A bit annoying how often this had happened in one day immediately after he nearly experienced a traumatic event. Thankfully for his brain, Basil kept him away. The puking also made him keep away too, to be fair.

Sunny came downstairs to see Basil just coming in through the doorway. His heart still skipped a beat whenever he saw him, so evidently it was a bit more than just a crush. Seeing the boy puking hadn't deterred his heart... or, brain technically, but it's just a figure of speech.

Sunny's mother was speaking to Basil about the details of him staying over now that he was at the house. "Well, we threw out our extra mattress before, sorry Basil... would you be okay with the couch?"

He spoke up from the front of the staircase. "He can just sleep in my room. We did it back when we were kids right?" Sunny tried to sound calmer than he was. He just didn't want Basil to be alone downstairs with everything going on. It also was likely the unconscious urge to put himself into awkward situations.

"Would you be alright with that, Basil?" Sunny's mother asked. Basil nodded silently

The boys headed upstairs together, and Sunny's mom returned to the couch, watching some Korean soap opera. Basil closed Sunny's bedroom door behind himself, and tears began flowing from his eyes.

Sunny rushed to his side, and asked "Hey, what's wrong?" before he felt like slapping himself in the face.

"What's wrong" am I a fucking idiot?

"I'm s-so- I'm so- I'm s-sorry Sunny, I'm s-so sorry!" Basil quietly cried as he fell to his knees on the floor, crying, "I always take from you, I'm sorry, I- I'm..."

Basil trailed off, so Sunny took the opportunity to hopefully make up for his stupid question, and try and comfort Basil. "It's okay Basil. You're my... friend. What kind of friend would I be to not help you right now?"

The only answer was tears and some sobbing. Sunny hugged Basil.

"You need some sleep." Sunny whispered to the quiet crying Basil.

Basil paused his sniffling. "Sunny..."

"Yes?"

"Are you gonna abandon me again..?"

Sunny felt a wave of emotions. Sadness, anger, pity, fear, regret, and the desperate want to protect. "No... Basil, I'll never abandon you ever again. I'll... I never want to do something like that to you... to anyone ever again." The frequent reuse of "again" made his words feel awkward, but he reeeeeally wanted to make sure Basil believed him.

"Is it okay if I... if I hug you... when going to sleep tonight..?" Basil asked sleepily, tears still staining his eyes. Basil's cheeks were red from the crying, but it just made him look cute to Sunny. He hated himself slightly for thinking about Basil's pretty-ness in a time like this but it seemed without some monochromatic haemophile in his brain, nobody was suppressing his homosexual thoughts.

"S-sure, Basil." it took some effort for Sunny not to be too enthusiastic when answering.

He just needs a shoulder to cry on, and someone to be there for him. I'm such a prick. I need to be careful not to unconsciously manipulate him or anything while he's this vulnerable.

Basil held Sunny's hand and led him to the bed, where Basil lied down immediately with a tired, and emotionally flat face. Sunny crawled in next to him trying to not let his blushing be obvious. Basil shut his eyes immediately, and mumbled.

"mmluv you Sunny..." he whispered, before seeming to fall asleep.

Sunny stared at the ceiling expressionless, and motionless. The only hint of a thought going on inside of his head was the intense blushing on his face. Slowly though, it died down, and he shut his eyes.

Sunny opened his eyes to a less than welcoming set of eyes staring at him. The same silhouette of Basil, named Stranger.

"Holy shit, could you try not to freak me out the first few seconds I wake up here?" Sunny said, unnerved.

"I feel therapy by exposure is the most effective strategy for every fear."

"I feel you're an asshole." Sunny replied.

Stranger rolled his eyes. "I'm at least proud enough you were mature enough to not think of some homoerotic daydream during Basil's traumatic experience."

"Are you just gonna be here every time I go to sleep, because if so, I'm seriously reconsidering sleeping." Sunny rebuked, ignoring Stranger's comment.

Stranger's expression changed from its previous annoyed appearance to sudden alertness.

"He's coming." Stranger commented, looking at the sky.

"What?" Sunny questioned. A silent "that's what she said" went off in his mind.

A massive white flash appeared, and spread around the endless black void. A platform lowered to the ground.

"Hello, Sunny. I-" Omori was cut off by a punch thrown by Stranger

Omori quickly drew his knife and struck back, Stranger blocking with his arms.

Stranger liquefied his arm into a sort of tentacle, and flung it at Omori, grabbing around him.

Omori slashed aggressively at the tentacle trapping him. It would really suck if the chapter just ended here, huh?