Arms Length..

Link and I followed the currant of the lake, which flowed into a river. We noticed something in the water, a being with an interesting pattern on the top of its head. "I wonder if we'd be able to see it better under water." I turned and watched a Link dove under I hardly knew how to swim, much less dive. I took a deep breath, closed my eyes and went under. I opened my eyes and noticed the animal thing staring Link and I down with fear in its eyes. "Humans!" It gasped seeing us. I turned to Link, who shrugged. "Ok, ok. I just have to avoid eye contact and back away slowly." It said and proceeded to do just that.

Link motioned to the thing and we began to follow it. The thing glared at us. "Quit following me, pests! If you two don't move along I'll be forced to tell Her Excellence the Water Dragon about your little incursion." I turned to Link, hoping he might have an answer. He didn't, just shrugged back at me. The thing decided to go behind some wood that had been left behind, in hopes of stopping Link and I. Link smashed through the boards, startling the animal. "Wait a minute!" They looked closer at Link, the water dragon's scale floating from his neck.

"That's Her Majesty's! Maybe you can help her. I'm Jelly." He said and gave a small bow. "It happened recently. This weirdo came in here with a gang of monsters and went right after her excellence! She ate most of those monsters in the first few seconds. There were so many that the weirdo managed to wound her! She's healing, but she needs more special water to make a full recovery. Follow me!" Link and I shared a look before following Jelly. He led us through the twists and turns until we were in the Water Dragons lair. Watch your manners, or you'll be her midday snack! The words of the kikwi hermit rang fresh in my mind.

Link jumped out of the water onto a platform. I swam after him, crawling up beside him. We stood, soaking wet in the presence of what I assumed was the Water Dragon. She was a lot smaller than I expected, about our size. Link approached first, making sure to keep me in his sights. "Ah! You there, human! You have intruded into my home, a sacred place few are permitted to enter. This is no place for one such as you. And yet, here you stand! You will explain how you got here, and quickly." The Water Dragon snapped from inside a capsule. Link was caught off guard by her sudden aggression. "Water Dragon?" He sputtered out in an instant. She looked offended. "I am. Those with manners address me as Faron, Warden of the Woods. I was appointed by the goddess herself. Though my current stature is less than, well, intimidating, shall we say, know that you stand in the presence of a loyal servant of the goddess. Hmm?"

"And you brought with a companion, how interesting." I huddled closer to Link, hoping to be seen as a friend rather than a foe. She leaned in to look at Link closer. Her eyes sparkled with recognition as she pulled away, looking over Link carefully. "I say, that's one of MY scales you have there!" Link looked down at his chest, the scale hanging proudly. "A sacred gift, one that can only be carried by the goddesses chosen hero. Could you really be him? How did you find me."
"The Kikwi who lives in the tree, the old one." Link spoke calmly, finally finding his footing in the conversation. "Ah yes, that cackling old hermit kikwi told you where I live, didn't he?" The Water Dragon rolled her eyes and mentioned something about eating him.

"You two have come seeking the sacred flame, haven't you?" Her gaze narrowed as she turned to examine us once again. "Yes ma'am." Link said, head bowed obediently. I stood beside him, meeting her gaze. She and I remained, eyes locked. It felt like she was seeing into my soul, my intentions here. After a moment the dragon blinked and I broke eye contact, dipping my head down as well.

She gave a slight laugh before speaking again. "I knew it. But I'll be straight with you. A shrimpy boy like you hardly looks the part of the goddesses chosen hero. We shall perform a test. Shortly before you arrived, I was attacked by a powerful creature named Ghirahim. I stood against him, but was wounded. I sit in this bath you see here to heal myself in sacred water. Unfortunately I have sat inside of it for too long and the healing properties have diminished. Bring me more sacred water and I shall aid in your quest to find the flame."

"Yes ma'am." Our voices rang in unison. The water dragon pointed us in the direction out, and back to the forest. Link pulled me outside with a soft sigh. "Wow that... that was really scary." He murmured. "Yeah, I was pretty intimidated by her." I said, beginning to walk the path back to the woods. Link didn't follow. I turned around and looked at him confused. "Aren't we going?" I asked him. "We need to talk." I blinked and nervously looked back to the forest. "Talk? Talk about what?" I asked, trying to think of what he would want to talk about.

"You. You've been secretive and zoned out a lot. At first during this adventure you were all for it with me, and now that we're getting deeper you're disconnected. What happened? Was it something I said? I feel like I've been trying to get closer to you and to open up, but you haven't reciprocated at all." Link asked, I clenched my jaw and looked at the ground. I didn't want to see the hurt in his eyes. "I can see that you're trying to keep up a facade, I want to know what's bothering you." I felt Link's hand grab my shoulder, gently shaking me. "I care about you (Y/n), we're partners. We've kept one another alive, we need to trust each other." I looked up and met Link's eyes finally.

There was no hurt, just concern and care. I gently placed a hand on his, squeezing gently. How could I tell this bright ball of sunshine that I was going to die? How could I allow myself to open up more to him, only to tear his heart out when I died? Death was such a feeble thing, and I couldn't let him know anything. Maybe, maybe I'll have the time... to explain everything to him. So it hurts less. "Selfish." I managed to sputter out. "I'm so afraid of being selfish." Link tilted his head and bit his lip in thought. "Be selfish, (Y/n). You give so much, you need to take a little bit." Be selfish. His words echoed in my mind and my body reacted faster than my brain.

Selfish.

I pulled Link in to me, pressing my body against his. He wrapped his arms around me, trying not to fall. I leaned in and closed my eyes. Link moved as well. His lips connected with mine. I felt him pull closer to me, kissing me harder. After a moment I pulled back, Link's eyes meeting mine once again. "Selfish, huh?" He asked, smiling like an idiot. His face was flushed, and he looked happy. "Yeah." I breathed out a laugh. "Okay." He said and looked at the trail we needed to go down. "I think I would prefer for you to be selfish more often." I gave out a soft laugh and followed him down the trail. "Maybe."

We ventured back into the deep woods temple. I noticed Link was looking at me more, which made me blush each time. Did he enjoy the kiss? Did I take it too far? I never asked him if he wanted it, oh I pushed him too far. He seemed to be studying me, trying to figure something out. But what? With each monster we defeated he seemed concerned for me even more. "Are you alright?" He hadn't even had time to dust off the remains of monster before Link was by my side again. I really enjoyed it. We managed to find the sacred water in the spring at the bottom of the temple. Link bottled it up and we happily returned to the Water Dragons lair.

I couldn't help but notice Link's hands flexing each time he was within arms length of me.