Memories of Worth..

As Sky and I neared the restaurant I leapt off of her, rolling onto the ground. My body hit it harshly, I guess we were going a lot faster than I anticipated. I allowed myself to roll once more, trying to stop the amount of momentum pushing through my body. I flopped onto my back, staring up at the sky with a deep sigh. A blonde head popped into view. "You ok there?" Link asked, raising an eyebrow. "Took you long enough!" I said, Link simply held out his hand while rolling his eyes.

I bounced up, smiling at my old... workplace? I mean, technically yea. We sauntered inside, the owner Pumm turned from his pot of pumpkin soup. He hollered out a hello, his daughter came to greet us out of habit. I smiled, my brain flickering her name onto my tongue. "Kina." The girl acknowledged us, her face brightening when she recognized me. "(Y/n)!" She gasped, throwing herself onto me. I smiled and hugged her back, Link was standing behind me shocked.

"It's been so long since I've seen you! I'm so glad you're doing well. Sit! Sit! I'll have father get you some soup on the house, you'll have to pay for drinks though." She rambled, quickly walking away from us. I smiled sheepishly at Link. "Oh yeah, she and I were really close before I left."
"And she and her father never told anyone about you?" Link asked, sounding equally impressed and annoyed. "Yeah, like I said we had a deal. The deal was, I work for some of their pumpkin seeds and education and they don't tell a soul about me. They got labor, and I got to grow food and learn how to read and stuff." We moved to a table to sit down at.

"You said you've been alone for years." Link said. "Yeah, I lived alone all those years. I only came here for a couple years, worked, learned stuff and left. Sometimes they go into Skyloft for me, but that's only when I'm super sick or something and need something. Which is like, once every 2 years."

Before Link could get another question in, Kina came and set down two bowls. She slid one in front of Link and sat beside me. "So, tell me everything! I haven't seen you since we were 11! 6 years (Y/n)!" I laughed sheepishly. "Well, I have a pretty nice pumpkin farm growing on my little island now. Definitely not as impressive as yours, but it's mine. I've been staying as much out of trouble as one can, and I've finally went into Skyloft on my own. Albeit not by my own will, but I really have enjoyed it."

She was overjoyed that I've actually been socializing with someone who's not Sky. "I'm so glad you're doing well! After our agreement was up and you just... left I was worried. And then you came that one day you were sick, everywhere. Then after we got you medicine you just left again. Haven't seen you since. I'm so glad you're alright, and you look amazing! Definitely grown as pretty as I thought!" I ate my soup as she rattled on, Link curiously listening.

"What did she do for you?" Link asked, I opened my mouth to answer but Kina stepped in. "Oh! She helped with the pumpkin patch, and washed dishes and cleaned this whole place with me. We worked together, the whole time. After work was done father would teach (Y/n)." I smiled. "Yup, she went to the academy in Skyloft and after close I would sit and Pumm would teach me how to read, write and whatever he could." Speaking of the man, he had emerged from the back.

His face brightened when he saw me. "My second daughter!" He called out, walking over to me with a relaxed pace. Even Link was surprised by his friendliness. The man messed up my hair, much like he did when I was younger. "It's so good to see you healthy and talking to others! Hello sir, I assume you're her friend? Kina, what's his name?" The young girl's face turned a bright shade of red. "I apologize, but I've completely forgotten your name. I know we go to class together, but you're always with Zelda."

Link choked on his soup, sputtering out a laugh. "It's not a problem, I'm not a talker." He said softly. "It's Link, sir." He said graciously. Pumm thought for a moment. "You're that kid who's going to the surface to save that missing girl aren't you?" He asked. Link nodded and grabbed my arm. "And (Y/n) here is helping me."

"What do you mean by helping?" Pumm asked dangerously low. "Are you going to the surface too?" He asked snapping his gaze in my direction. "Yeah, I need some answers myself." I said with a shrug. He and Kina knew my past. I wasn't as closed off as a small child as I am now. "I'll just avenge my mother and save someone in the process." I stated calmly. Pumm sighed, shaking his head. "You've had to raise yourself, I don't understand why you'd so something like that?"
"I have to."
"You don't 'have to' do anything. You can let your mother rest in piece. It's what she'd want for you." The older man rubbed the bridge of his nose in annoyance. "Don't do anything stupid, and don't be afraid to pull out if you don't feel safe."

I smiled and shrugged my shoulders. "I can do it. I have Link, he protects me." I looked over to Link, who'd finished his soup. I stood, taking my own empty bowl in hand. "I think we better go. We've gotta go back down to the surface again." Kina took the bowls from my hand, Pumm pulled me in to a hug. "Don't overwork yourself." He said simply. "And come back again. I'm glad you're well and holding yourself together." I tried to pay for our things, but the two wouldn't have it. I took my rupees and walked out, listening to a string of goodbyes.

"We need to talk." I said as soon as the door behind us shut. Link looked at me worried, but then seemed to realize. "Yeah. We do. Where would you like to talk?" He asked me. I thought for a moment. "Let's go for a fly." Link happily agreed. We both dove off the platform, calling for our respective rides.

As we flew side by side, the air around us got cold. The tension was thick enough to cut. "How did you know the demon lord? Or, how did he know you?" I tried to think of the best way to phrase it. My brain formed phrases that died on my tongue. "When my mother died, he killed her. Then he tried to take me somewhere, and I ran away from him. I don't know how, at that age, but I did. And the statue we prayed to? It flung me into the sky, and my loftwing caught me. My scream sounded like my whistle." I said with a laugh, Sky cawed softly below me.

"I'm not hellbent on avenging her though." I said truthfully. "I just needed and excuse for Pumm that's something other than, 'I don't know, but I have to help. I have to be down there and be present and experience the surface again.' So, don't think I'm going to do something out of a huge emotion." Link thought for a while before he spoke, carefully stepping over his words. "Why didn't you come to Skyloft?"

"I was scared. I'd never interacted with another person other than my mother. I was afraid of Ghirahim." I said honestly. "It's just me." I whispered softly. "And then, when I saw the Lumpy Pumpkin one day I saw Kina outside. It took a while and we became friends first, and I liked the books she had so her father taught me to read and she taught me to garden." I knew the question Link would ask without him even speaking.

"And then one day I had a nightmare that Ghirahim found them, so I ended everything. And I left." Link gave me a sad look. "I've convinced myself I don't deserve happiness, so I guess when hearing I can go back to the place it all started I wanted to go maybe heal this feeling? Be worth something to myself." I shook my head, willing the tears to absorb back into my eyes. "You and I are alike." Link said softly. "I'm an orphan too." I smiled softly, fidgeting on top of Sky. The silence between us seemed a lot more comfortable.

"I truly am sorry you've had to live like that (Y/n)." Link said quietly. "I want you to know and believe, as soon as all of this is done we'll get you a proper education. You can become a knight with me, and you can make as many friends as you'd like. Zelda would love to be your friend, and maybe you can even have a happy family on Skyloft with everyone. Leave all of your sadness behind." Link said, holding out his hand like he was holding out his promise physically. "You've just gotta stay alive with me to fight through for what you want." I smiled and reached out to take his hand. "Absolutely." I whispered. Link nodded and stretched himself. "But first, we have to find Zelda." My energy flowed back through me, a new sense of purpose.

"Let's go find Zelda then."

____
2022 edit: TW! ABUSE!

I have noticed recently my books portrayed the abuse I was going through in different ways, like this one was about control. Now that I have healed (mostly) from that abuse I write about doing stuff for "me" and being happy for oneself, which is really cool. Like this chapter is a great example of getting over my trauma. Idk if you guys care, but I find it cool and I wanna document it when I edit this in the future. Thanks for all your support, you guys don't know how much it means to me.