Sharpening Expectations..

I stepped back out, my attire all ready for an adventure. My blades were strapped to my thighs and I felt ready to go. I stepped out into the hall and almost smacked into a large man. He had a sword on him as well, the only other person I've seen with a weapon on this island. "Well, hello there." He said, just as surprised as me. "Hi." I said softly, staring at him. "You're that girl who was in the accident, huh?" He asked, tilting his head and scanning me over.

"What are those?" The man asked, his eyes widening as he gestured to my blades. I pulled them from their sheaths. "They're my twin short swords." I said, and put one back to show him. "I think they used to be able to come together as a double edged long sword." The man took the one from my hand, feeling the edge. "My apologies, my name is Eagus. I'm the knight commander here, and I specialize in weaponry. Where did you find them?"

"I used to explore the islands a lot when I was younger, and I found these while exploring. They're pretty old, but I love them with all my heart." I explained watching as he looked it over some more. "May I see the other one?" He asked. I nodded, taking the other out and trading him with the one he already had. After a moment he gestured to take both. I allowed him, and watched as he tried to make it into double swords again. Whatever mechanism that held it together once wasn't going to hold it up now.

"I'll say, dear. They're beautiful swords you have, it looks like they need a little love though. Sharpening, polishing and I have a friend in the Bazaar who could probably fix these up." My heart fluttered. I've already thought they were beautiful, but the thought of them being actually polished? And fixed? Then I stopped. "I'm so sorry, I wouldn't have the money to pay you for all of that." The man gave a big, belly laugh. "Nonsense! Think of it as me repaying you for helping our dear Link. It gives a lot of us comfort to know he's not alone." I nodded quickly, taking my sheaths off and handing them to the man. "Then yes! Please do." I almost begged. "Besides, I love swords myself. I want to see how it would look as a double sword and gleaming in the sunlight."

I realized that I might have to join Link on the surface again without a weapon. "How long will it take?" I asked softly, my mind buzzing with hand to hand combat ideas. "I can return these to you in the morning, if you'd like? I assume you two have to be gone as soon as possible, but having your swords sharpened and fixed will prove to be much safer for you two." I smiled brightly, my head shaking nonstop in agreement. "Thank you so much! I'll go tell Link!" I ran to find the man, excited out of my mind. I was a bit worried about his reaction, whether he would force me to go without weaponry or leave me.

"Link! Hey!" I said catching him as he walked out of his door. "Hey?" He asked and looked me over. "Where are your swords?" I tried to think of a quick excuse before sighing. "I gave them to Eagus. He's going to make them a lot better than they were." Link knew I had a point. No matter how much I loved my blades, they were old and they looked like it. "Well, what are we going to do? I'm all prepped and ready to leave for Eldin." The whispers reared their ugly head at the sound of going back down again. It's a shame, they've been so patiently quiet.

"Maybe show me around town? If I'm going to live here I might as well know some things. I only know the academy." I said, trying to drown them out. Link smiled at me. "Alright, yeah. That sounds like a plan. Let's go."

Link proceeded to tell me all about the academy and the instructors that work there. We marched away and down the bridge, Link showing me all the back ways people can walk and couples caught kissing at. He showed me the small pumpkin patch as well as the stepping stones to cross over to the cave. He brought me up to the Bazaar, walking inside with me to show me around. "In here we have Rupin who works the gear shop, Gondo he works the scrap shop, Piper who has a small restaurant, Sparrot the fortune teller, Luv, Bertie and their baby at the potion shop. Peatrice as item check keeper. Then there are a lot of residents here too." He pointed towards each person, and I looked everyone over. Rupin seemed exceptionally excited I even looked his way.

I stood, soaking in the business of the Bazaar. The warmth and laughter that emanated from it. I smiled and looked at Link. "I love it." I whispered, Link beamed. "Great. Come on, there's still more to show you!" He pulled me to the bridge I was standing at a few nights ago, pointing across. "There's another pumpkin patch at the top of this hill, and our graveyard. There's mostly houses across the river, and since I don't live there I don't really go over there." I nodded quietly in thought. "Pretty." Link turned to face where we were headed next. The Goddess Statue.

"How long did it take for that to be built?" I asked Link softly as we started our walk towards it. He smiled to himself for a moment before he spoke. "No one knows. It was the first thing here. The Goddess herself, probably. She bestowed that upon us to present a hero in a time of need... me I guess. Fi led me there before we went to the surface. It's a sacred and safe place. Zelda and I spent a lot of time there."

We arrived to the statue, and Link walked ahead of me. He continued to talk about the statue, but I simply stood and stared. The statue was huge, a lot bigger than I expected. If felt like someone stuffed something in my ears, and that I had stopped looking at the statue. I felt like I couldn't refocus at all, and my thoughts had drifted elsewhere. I tried blinking, to refocus on what I was doing and listen to Link again. Except, I couldn't hear, see or feel anything. It's like I lost all my senses at once.

Everything felt white and blank.