To The Surface..

For Link the world had indefinitely slowed itself down in moments. A split second decision that could save someone's life and potentially end another. Zelda was just out of arms reach, and this girl he had bumped into? Quite literally came tumbling into his arms and smashing her head into his shoulder with a force that will bruise. His body went rigid as he grabbed her close. Something inside of him screamed, let go! She's dangerous, go get Zelda! But his arms tightened and he felt himself begin to fall, and he turned to watch Zelda.

He held the girl close as Zelda was swallowed by the storm and into the clouds, screaming his name and reaching for him. Debris from the storm blew back at the two, hitting him harshly. He fell, waiting for himself to wake up out of this nightmare. When it didn't, he slowly drew two fingers to his mouth and blew. A shrill whistle escaped his lips, almost startling him. A crimson loftwing dove and caught the two young adults. Link clutched into the girl as if she was his lifeline, the shock of it all crashing down on him as soon as they landed. Link stumbled off of his loftwing with the girl in his arms. People rushed around him as he crumbled to the stone ground, carrying the girl with as he fainted.

Whispers prodded me awake, lips pressed tightly to my ears murmuring strange things. All at once they seemed to whisper, wake up. I jolted up, looking around the room and it spun with my head. The room blacked out for a moment and I felt my head roll back to fall into the bed. Everything hurt, and my head was killing me. Sunlight filtered through the window's crack. I groaned, knowing where I was. Skyloft. The one place I was never allowed to go.

Sky was probably worried sick. I regained everything and slowly crawled out of bed, finding shaky legs to stand. The darkness seemed to lick out of the corners, reaching towards me. I walked slowly towards the door, reaching to open it. The door swung open and a pair of blue eyes met mine in surprise. "Oh! You're awake." He said softly. A bottle of red liquid was in his hand as he reached it out to me. "Here, drink this." I took it and swirled the liquid around. I looked the man up and down, studying him.

"This may seem rude, but I don't trust you." I said handing back the potion. He nodded, taking it from me. "Yeah, I should've figured. If I take a drink, will you drink the rest?" He asked uncorking the top. "Sure..." I said and watched him take a swig. He opened his mouth and proved he swallowed it. "Now, I'm not the one in need of this. You are." I took the bottle and drank the rest. The headache I was feeling magically vanished, and I felt like I could walk fine again. "Woah." I whispered looking at the bottle.

"Yeah, this stuff is really neat." He said taking the bottle. "Now, I have a few questions for you." The blonde man leaned against the doorframe, blocking me in. He looked behind him, peeking around to see if anyone else is around. "Where did you come from?" I crossed my arms, raising an eyebrow. "Rude, you haven't even asked my name." I caught a laugh out of him, his face flushed in embarrassment. "Right, yeah. I'm sorry, my name is Link. What's your name?" He said holding out a hand to shake. "It's... Skylar." I said, taking his hand.

"I know you're confused, and you feel trapped but I promise after you answer my questions I'll let you go. I came to see if you were up, and you are, so now you answer to me." A silhouette of a large man came into view from the doorway. I shrunk back into the room, I grasped at my thighs for my blades. They were gone. "Unfortunately young lady we had to take those away from you." The man stepped into the room as Link moved away.

"Good morning, or technically it's afternoon. My name is Headmaster Gaeopora." Fear flooded my system as I backed away from them. "I heard you were with when Zelda was taken. Why?" I blinked and straightened up. "Her name is Skylar, Headmaster. I saved her, but unfortunately couldn't get to Zelda." The large man looked me up and down. He was older, and Link seemed to be below him on the ranking. "Why what?" I asked quickly.

"Why were you there? Where did you come from?" The headmaster rattled off questions. I opened my mouth and backed myself up to the bed, sitting down. "I come from the northernmost island. I have a home there. My mother and I lived there. Why was I there? I have my own loftwing, unlike yours she doesn't have a saddle. I was doing my morning flights, keeping us in shape and getting a breath of fresh air." I answered with a sigh. "Why haven't I seen you around flying?" Gaeopora asked crossing his arms. "I fly on the outskirts so no one can see me."

"Why are you afraid of us?" Link asked stepping forward. "You cower like we're going to hurt you, you've never stepped foot onto this island until now." My eyes dropped to my feet. "I don't know. All I know is I have never been allowed here by my mother." The whispers returned, they hissed about danger. Me? I'm dangerous? What's dangerous?

"Skylar? Hello?" Link asked tapping my knee. "We said you're good to go." I looked and saw that the headmaster had left, and my knives were left in their place. I stood and grabbed my knives, placing them back into their sheathes kindly. "Why do you have weapons?" Link asked as I straightened my clothes out. "Questions are over pretty boy, I'm going home." Link laughed and followed me out. "Well, ride safe, that storm has caused other cyclones to form. I'm going down to the surface."

Everything stopped.

"The surface?" I whispered, whipping around to face Link. "Yeah, why?" He asked taking a step back. "I'm coming with." I said simply. "You are coming with me, to the surface?" He asked with wide eyes, a look of disbelief in his face. "Haven't you heard of what's down there? The monsters that are trapped?" Whispers again. Monsters, down there? Should I be down there. I'm a monster, monster, monster!

"I haven't heard, and I don't care. One measly boy with a pointy blade isn't going to do much." I stated pushing past him. "Wherever you go, I go."
"Do you even know how to use those blades?" Link asked, I took one out. "Kinda, but I can learn."
"I would rather you know, than to learn while I'm dying." I shrugged, smiling at him examining my blade. "I have amazing instincts. Don't worry about me."

Link grabbed my shoulder. "Then you and I will face, one on one. If I can trust you with a blade, I need to trust you in hand to hand." I looked at him shocked. "Does that mean you'll let me come with willingly?" Link gave me a soft smile. "I'll let you come with if you can show me you're capable of keeping yourself alive first." He said. "Once you exit this room, go down the stairs and out the front door. Make a left turn and I will meet you outside the sparring hall. I'll give you some time to prepare."

He left me alone, shutting the door behind him. I shook my hands and began to bounce around, feeling the flow through me. I stood straight, sighing to myself. I'd never fought hand to hand, so this was going to be terrible. After a few minutes of trying to get myself going, I followed Link's directions outside. He stood, his sword laid in the grass beside him as he turned to see me. "I didn't think you were ever coming." I nodded and sighed. "Ready?" He asked starting into a fighting stance, I mimicked him.

"Fight." As soon as those words flew out of his mouth we stood still, the wind rushing past us gently. Link moved, coming at me with a swing. I barely moved out of the way in time to miss it. I kicked and he grabbed my leg, twisting it out of the way. "Why are you so bent on going to the surface?" He grunted and threw another punch, it caught my cheek. "I've just gotta." I hissed, spitting out the blood. Link grabbed my arm and threw me. I grunted as I landed on the harsh dirt, slowly getting up again. "Why are you going? To save your girlfriend?" I asked and tried to punch him. He dodged each one, and stood back for a moment. "Girlfriend? No. Try best friend, not a day goes by without seeing her."

Link threw another punch at me, I ducked and managed to catch his stomach. He grunted and reared up. Link pulled back and swiped my feet out from under me, his fist aimed for my face. My body moved on its own, I tilted to the right. As soon as Link's arm went past my shoulder I grabbed his body and flipped him on his back. In a moment I was on top of him, my blade to his throat.

The dust took a moment to settle around us. We were panting, and sweating in the sun. "Link." I said smiling, pulling my blade back. "I think that means I'm coming with you." Link dropped his head back, exhaling loudly. "Alright." He said. I got off of him and helped him off the ground. "I trust you to keep me safe, as you should trust me to keep you safe." Link said taking my hand and shaking it. I sheathed my sword after. "Sleep tonight. Tomorrow we'll go to the surface together." I nodded my head eagerly.

"I'll meet you down there."