Promise Me..

I sat in Groose's arms, leaning against him. "I didn't like feeling helpless." He stated as Link walked up to us. Link was taken aback by the statement and looked at me, his eyes mixed with something I've never seen. Groose stood and helped me to my feet as well. I couldn't believe it, but I was grateful for him. "I have some things to think about." He muttered, his eyes searching my body before Groose walked away. Link approached me and chewed on his cheek. "Are you alright?" I flexed my toes and nodded slowly.

"Yeah, I should be good. Groose helped me." That look flickered back in his eyes. "Yeah." Link murmured and turned to the old woman. "Shall we?" The three of us entered the Sacred Temple once again. Link was stayed closer to me, which was off-putting. "In order for you to activate this Gate of Time, you must find the power within the sword and yourself. There are three sacred flames that you must bathe your sword in." The old woman started and began to explain the importance to Link. I stood, watching my feet.

I wanted to be swallowed by the ground.

I felt so disconnected from Link and from our mission. The bracelets on my wrists reminded me of my promise to the goddess. Their weight sat heavy on my hands and in my mind. I didn't want to break my promise, and I was terrified of what happens to me. What if... what if I lose control when the final battle happens? I just need to... I don't know. Link's hand intertwined with mine, and I wanted to pull away. "Hey, we've gotta go." Link murmured. "There's a few things we need to tend to." I nodded in silence, feeling Link drag me along.

"What's wrong?" We stood before the bird statue, and I looked up at the sky. "I... I don't know." I croaked. "I'm really conflicted, and I feel like I'm just... I'm going to get you killed." I whispered, my eyes filling with hot tears. I pulled my hand from Link's grasp and rubbed my eyes, trying to stop the tears. "We've been through so much and there's so many things that are happening and... I want to be here for you. I'm so sorry Link." I felt the tears roll down my face.

"I really care for you, especially since I've gotten to know you. I want... I need time to think." Link stepped back, unsure of what to do. "Leave me down here, I'm sure you'll have to return. Do what you need to, I just need... time." I said, looking away from Link. He didn't say a word, and simply pressed a hand against the stone bird. It lit up and he was carried into the skies. I stepped back and made my way into the temple. I pushed open the stone door and shut it. The old woman sat in the dappled sunlight, while Groose was in a different section of the temple.

I walked forward and approached the stairs, beginning to walk up them. I sat down in front of the old woman, her gaze piercing me. "I think I know why you've always been hostile with me." I said slowly. "You've known." I searched her face. "Before I."
"Known what?" Her gravelly voice was calm. "You can sense evil on me. Can't you?" The old woman said nothing. I played with my fingers, cracking them and feeling under my nails with every individual nail. "Perhaps." The old woman answered. "Perhaps I was wrong about you." She reached out and gently grabbed my hand. The woman turned it, my palm pointing upwards. She reached out and traced the pattern on my bracelet, noticing the matching one.

"You've communicated with the goddess." She whispered and let out a soft sigh of relief. "And she blessed you." I nodded my head slowly. "That's what I've been trying to say. I'm not a threat." I felt Groose's presence behind me. "And, if I'm going to be apart of this fight against... that thing I'm bound to," I pulled my hands away, crossing them over my chest. "I need to ask you two something." We all sat in silence as I tried to think of a way to phrase my words best.

"When that dies, I will too. Right? If I'm correct. I felt it's pain when Link was fighting it, and I don't think I'd survive the pain of it dying." My eyes flickered between Groose's worried stare and the old woman's calm gaze. "Granny, what do you think?" Groose asked quietly. "Keep going, young one." Granny said. "If Link has to fight it again, Granny," She didn't mind the nickname from me. "You need to give him a reason I can't fight. I don't want him realizing my connection to the beast. When it's time for Link to finish it... Groose..." I turned to the man behind me.

"Can... can you hold my hand? I think I'm alright with dying for the life of others, but I don't want to die alone." Groose recoiled and blinked incredulously. He began to stammer and then shut his mouth. With a grave stare he nodded and saluted me. "I will, (Y/n)." I gave a sigh of relief. Groose excused himself from our conversation once again as I turned to Granny. "There's one more thing." I whispered and closed my eyes. I listened to the whispers crawl into my brain. I cupped my hands together and took a deep breath, feeling the whispers giggle. They crawled through my body and made their way out of my hands as red little wisps of power.

"I have abilities. They can heal me, they can move me and give me destructive power. I need help to control them." I said quietly. "I have a feeling you'd be able to help me." Granny gave a gentle nod, she motioned to my blades. "Cut yourself open and show me how you heal." I nodded solemnly and drew one. I sliced my leg and immediately the wisps came and sewed up the place I cut in seconds. "I think I can help you control them." Granny murmured.

Granny and I had spent almost an entire day focusing on my control. Once we felt like I was ready I went outside to help Groose. "Hey, can you hand me that wood piece?" Groose asked, pointing to the board next to me. I grabbed it and brought it to him, pushing it in his hand. "Thanks." I heard the door to the temple creak open, and waited to see who it was. "(Y/n)?" Link's voice was music to my ears. I turned and smiled, running to greet him. "You're back! I'm so glad, and I'm ready to continue." Link held out his harp and strummed it a bit. "Ready to hear me play?" I nodded excitedly, following him back into the woods. We wandered deeper in the forest to the giant tree. A group of butterflies gathered before it, and Link stepped in the middle.

"I'm glad you chose to continue with me." Link said quietly. "I missed you while you were gone." I smiled and sat down to watch. He pulled out his harp, and Fi jumped from the sword. The two of them began to create beautiful music. Fi sang and Link accompanied her with his harp. Her voice was gorgeous and Link played as though he'd been training his entire life. After the performance Link pulled out his sword and stabbed into the ground. He let out a choked noise and suddenly slumped.

I stilled and waited for him to move. When he didn't I slowly crawled to him and reached out to touch him. Fi reappeared in front of me immediately, I stumbled backwards. "My master is safe and well, please do not bother him at this moment. He is undergoing a complex task that involves his full mental capacity." I blinked and nodded, staring at Link's body. "So, he's just asleep?" Fi nodded. "He will wake when he is finished." I sat closer to Link, watching his steady breathing. He looked so peaceful and ethereal like this. The goddess's hero. Truly a beauty to behold.

His face twisted and he made small noises, I kept close and was ready to pull him back. After a moment he awoke with a gasp. Link pulled his sword from the ground and stood, holding something in his hand. I stood next to him and peered into his hand. A scale with beads on the strings connecting it. Link gently put the scale around his neck and smiled at me. "Well, there's that. I think I know where we need to go now." Link turned around, looking up at the tree behind us.

Link and I entered the bottom of the tree, swimming upwards and finding our way up. Throughout we heard a noise that gradually got louder. I thought it might be a bird, but I was very wrong. We climbed as far as we safely could and looked around, the noise as loud as ever. "Hey," Link said and pulled me close. He had me face outwards, pointing up. I looked and saw a Kikwi in the tree, snoring loudly. Snoring. That's what it was. Link pulled out his slingshot and hit him with it. The kikwi startled, screaming loudly before seeing us. He calmed down and sighed.

"It's been a while since I've seen your kind around here, but here's the question. Can you see me?" He asked us. Link spoke up cheerfully. "Sure can!"
"Where are you headin' to?"
"We're searching for a sacred flame." Link said. The Kikwi introduced himself as the Kikwi hermit that lives in the tree, or Yerbal. He told us about a door to Her Majesty's lair. The water dragon. She would be able to help us much better.

I hate heights. I hate them where I can see what I need to hit in order to be safe. Being so far above a giant basin of water stressed me out. "Goddess help me." I whispered before taking a step back and launching myself off of the platform. My form wasn't at glamorous as Link's, but it definitely did the job. The water accepted me and I breached the surface seconds later with a gasp. "Great job (Y/n), now we have to find that dragon!"

I began to follow Link, feeling a sense of dread.

===============================
Tears of the kingdom comes out in 186 days. I already bought it. Fuck yea.