The Vanishing of Will Byers

Present day.

Danielle's POV

Dustin and I were over at the Wheeler's house. Dustin was playing D&D with Lucas, Mike, and Will. Nancy and I were in her room, she's sitting at her desk and I'm sitting on her bed. She's flipping through her flashcards, studying for our chemistry test tomorrow, as I finish up today's homework

"I can't believe Kaminsky gave us homework before our test tomorrow." I say to Nancy.

"Yeah, it's totally not fair." Nancy says as she's making flash cards.

"Hey, what did you get for the last one? Did you get pH =14-poH = 10.3979. I rounded it up to 10.398." I ask as I glance down at my notebook.

She puts down her flashcards and takes a quick look at her homework. "Yes, 10.398."

"Cool." I say smiling and adjusting my glasses. I really suck at chemistry.

"Hey, Nancy." My little brother's voice comes from her bedroom door, catching our attention.

We both look over at the door and see Dustin waving at her. "There's a slice left if you want it. Sausage and pepperoni." He says opening the box as I pack up my stuff.

I get off of Nancy's bed and sling my backpack over my shoulder. "I'll see you tomorrow Nance." I tell her and walk over to Dustin.

"We can study for the test tomorrow during free period." Nancy says to me.

"Okay, thanks." I say before walking out of her room, shutting the door behind me.

"She doesn't want any of your pizza dweeb." I tell Dustin before making my way downstairs.

"Can I ride my bike home with Will?" Dusting asks as we leave the Wheeler's.

"Sure." I say as I open the door to my red Jeep. "Just don't get home too late." I say as I get in and starting it.

Dustin gives me a salute and he goes back under the awning with the boys.

I pull out of the Wheeler's drive way and make my way home.

**

Finally, I pull into my driveway. I shut my car off, grab my bag and go inside. The house was dark, indicating that my mom has already gone to bed. I make my way towards my room at the end of the hallway, next to Dustin's. 

When I walk in, I am greeted by Mews, my cat. My mom got her for me a few years ago. Mom ended up growing an extremely large attachment to her when dad left, so she's her "baby." I change into some pj's and do my nightly routine. Once I'm under the covers, I take my glasses off and fall into a deep sleep.

**

"But Papa he's stronger than me." I say to an unrecognizable man.

I look down at my feet. White shoes, no laces. I'm standing in a circle that looks to have been drawn on the floor with chalk.

The sound of glass breaking makes me look up.

There's a young man that appears to be sitting on the floor, leaning his back against the wall, passed out. I slowly walk closer to him. I'm not sure why, but I feel like I know this person. I reach my hand out slowly. Suddenly the young man snaps his eyes open and yanks me down by my wrist. He goes to open his mouth, going to say something but the sound of my alarm cuts him off.

My alarm blares as I open my eyes. It's six o'clock.

Stupid alarm.

I cover my face with my pillow.