The Dive

The next day, all of us are in Nancy's car, as she drives us out to Reefer Ricks to bring Eddie some food.

"Not to be a wimp, but can I sit in the car for this visit? 'Cause this is gonna totally and royally suck." Robin says from the passenger seat.

"It'll be fine." Nancy says.

"I just can't stand to see those doe eyes of Eddie's break again."

"At least he can drink himself into feeling better." Steve says next to me, with a mouthful of Pringles that we're sharing with Dustin.

"That's what my mom does." Max says from the seats in front of us.

"Why don't we give it a trial run? "Hey, Eddie. Uh, good news first this time. We got you some Dustin-approved junk food and that six-pack you requested. Oh yeah, and we found Vecna. Only the bad news is that he's in that other, darker, much scarier dimension that we told you about, and the gate's closed, so we have no way of getting to him. He's entirely shut off to us, so basically you're screwed. And, no, I know you were already screwed, but now you're doubly, triply screwed." Robin explains.

"Wait. Maybe we don't put it like that." Lucas says.

""We're one step closer to finding Vecna". That's what we say. That's what's important." Nancy says.

"See, Robin?" Steve says as he holds up a chip. "Positive spin can make all the difference." Steve says popping it into his mouth. 

"Uh-huh."

"I can find him." I speak up as I rid my hands of the salt from the chips by wiping them on my pants. 

"What?" Robin says from the front.

"I've been thinking about it this entire car ride. I can find Vecna, the same way I found Max." 

"Yeah, but wouldn't you be alone if you found him?" 

"...Yeah. I guess I would be."

"Yeah, nope. No, no." Steve protests beside me. "I don't like your idea. Going to Vecna alone is a no-no from me. Absolutely not." He says before throwing another chip in his mouth. 

"Oh shit." Nancy says before I can respond to Steve, gaining everyone's attention. 

We look forward, out the windshield, only to see news reporters, police cars, and a large crowd of people. Nancy parks her car on the side of the road and we all file out. 

"Come on." Nancy says to us, once we're all out. "This way." She says and leads us to the other side of he news van so we can get a closer look to what Chief Powell is telling the reporters.

"As many of you know, the Roane County line received a call a little after midnight, reporting a homicide here on the lake." Powell says causing all of us to share looks. "Officer Callahan here and myself arrived first on the scene. We made our way to the shore of Lover's Lake, about ten yards from that house you see behind me. It was there that we found the victim, an 18-year-old senior from Hawkins High, Patrick McKinney. His limbs... his body, it was disfigured... there was an eyewitness on the scene. We have also identified a person of interest. Eddie Munson." Powell says as he holds up a picture of Eddie. "We encourage anyone with information to please come forward."

"Oh, man." Steve says from next to me as we listen to Powell. "This is not good. Really not good."

"You've got questions, and I'm going to answer as many as I can. Two o'clock at town hall, where anyone from the Hawkins community is welcome. But right now, I've got work to do, and I appreciate your understanding." Chief Powell finishes.