Vecna's Curse

"I can't believe you guys are moving in together." Robin says excitedly as I thumb through the ads in Hawkins Post.

"I know right." I smile back at her, taking my attention away from the paper. "You're the first person we've told."

"You haven't even told your parents?" 

"Nope." I say, leaning my back against the edge of the counter, propping my elbows up on top. "I haven't told my mom and Steve's parents are out of town on vacation."

"What do you think they'll say?" Robin says as she begins to load the cart with returned movies. 

"I think my mom will be happy, she really likes Steve. And as for Steve's parents... Honestly, they'll just be happy he's moving out." I chuckle as I roll my eyes. 

"Alright, first cart of the day is finally finished, with no help from you two." Steve says as he joins us behind the counter. "Got another one for me?" He asks Robin. 

"Yep, all ready for you." She says, gesturing to the cart. 

"Are one of you actually going to help me this time?" Steve asks, eyeballing Robin and I. 

"Robin can, I'm busy." I say turning back around and start scanning the paper again. 

"Okay, Robin can help me." Steve says as they both walk out from behind the counter. 

"Good, I can tell you all about Vicky." She says to Steve as he pulls the cart.

"Yeah, okay. What happened?" 

"Well, you said that Tammy sounded like a Muppet, which then I agreed." Robin says as they start putting VHS tapes back onto the shelves.

"Okay."

"And she heard what I said and totally agreed with me. Then Vicky laughed. And it wasn't like a cheap, fake laugh either. It was like... it was a real, genuine laugh." 

"Of course she laughed, Robin. It's my Muppet joke. It's hilarious. Danielle even laughed."

"That's true, I did laugh." I say crossing off another too expensive apartment with a red pen.

"Yeah, that's because Dani was there when you said it the first time." Robin says.

"That's true, I was there." I say.

"Anyway, my point is that Vicki laughed and everything was just like... it was perfect."

"But?" Steve asks as they move to a different shelf.

"But I'm having this problem where it's like, I should stop talking. I have said everything I need to say. But then I guess I get nervous, and the words keep spilling out, and it's like my... my brain is moving faster than my mouth, or... or rather my... my mouth is moving faster than my brain. And it's like I'm digging this hole for myself and I want to stop digging, I'm trying to stop, but I can't. And I'm doing it right now, aren't I?"

"Yeah, you are." I say finally taking my eyes off of the newspaper.

Robin looks absolutely defeated as her eyes stare back at mine. "Oh, I'm hopeless." She says after backing into a movie poster sign. 

Steve takes a quick glance at me and then proceeds to copy Robin. With his back against the sign, Steve says, "We both are."

"What do you mean "We"?" I ask Steve with a slight tilt of my head. 

Steve's eyes meet mine and they widen as he perks up against the sign a little bit. "Uh- We- We," He stammers pointing at himself, Robin, and I. "We both- we all... are hopeless. Robin... Robin can't get a girlfriend, no offense." Steve whispers to her as she shrugs her shoulders. "And we..." Steve drags out, indicating that he's blanking on what net to say.