One Month Later

Since the release of the incendiary tape, the once quiet town of Hawkins, Indiana, has spent time in a place it never expected. The national spotlight. Under mounting pressure, several high-ranking members from the U.S. Department of Energy have admitted involvement in the death and cover-up of Hawkins resident Barbara Holland who died due to exposure to an experimental chemical asphyxiant, which had leaked from the grounds of the lab. We sent our own April Kline to Hawkins to speak to residents, residents who told us they thought they lived in a safe town. The kind of town where, they say, nothing ever happens.

Steve and I hold hands as they lower the empty casket into the ground. Barbs parents weep over the death of their daughter. Soon, the funeral was over. Steve and I pay our respects to Mr. and Mrs. Holland before we leave.

"So, what movie are we seeing tonight?" I say once we leave the cemetery.

"I was thinking The Karate Kid?" Steve says holding my hand as he takes me home.

"Really?" I say excitedly. "I've been dying to see that movie. Ralph Macchio is such a babe." I say jokingly. However, Steve doesn't really take it like one, based on how quiet he is.

"I'm kidding, Steve." I say reassuringly.

"Thank, God." Steve says chuckling. "I was going to switch movies last minute."

I laugh as we pull in to my drive way. "Okay, I'll see you tonight?" I say getting out.

"Tonight."

I shut the passenger door and wave to Steve as he pulls out of my driveway. He drives away and I go inside, mom is on the couch with our new kitten, she named him Tews.

"Hey, Mom." I greet her as I shut the door.

"Hi, sweetheart." She responds as she caresses the kitten.

I walk through the living room and head to my bedroom when my mom stops me.

"Oh, Sweetie!"

"Yeah?" I say turning around.

"The Chief called. Asked if you could meet him in town later."

"Did he say why?" I ask a little confused.

"No, just that he'll be waiting at the Hideaway."

"Okay... thanks." I say and go to my room and change.

**

I pull in to a parking spot in front of the bar, next to Hopper's police car. I spot him outside, leaning against the brick wall, smoking a cigarette. I get out of my car and walk over to him.

"Hey, kid." He says as I walk up to him.

"Hey. My mom said you wanted to meet up? What's going on?"

"Yeah, about that. I'm meeting someone, he's inside. I have some business to take care of with him and thought it would be best if you joined."

"Um... okay. Who is it?"

"You'll see. Let's go." He says and flicks his cigarette.

Hopper holds the door open and I walk inside.

"Over there." Hopper says and points at a booth.

Dr. Owens is sitting at the booth Hopper pointed at. We take off our coats as we walk over and take a seat across from him.

"Chief-o." Dr.Owens says to Hopper as we sit down. "Jo-Danielle, nice to see you again." He says smiling at me.

"Likewise." I smile back.