The Case Of The Missing Lifeguard

Steve's POV

"You see anything?" Dustin asks me as we hide behind a plant in the mall.

"Uh, I guess I don't totally know what I'm looking for." I say as I look around, though his binoculars.

"Evil Russians." Dustin says in a 'duh' tone.

"Yeah, exactly. I don't know what an evil Russian looks like." I roll my eyes.

"Tall, blond, not smiling."

"Mm-hmm." I respond, not really paying attention.

"Also, look for earpieces, camo, duffel bags, that sort of thing."

"Right, okay, duffel bags." 

I scan the mall some more and I eventually spot Danielle. I'm able to see her in the Gap, but... hold on, is she talking to Eddie Munson? 

"Oh, you've gotta be kidding me." I let out.

"What?" Dustin asks.

"Danielle is talking to that meathead, Eddie Munson." I say dumbfounded.

"Dude, if you're not going to focus, just give me the binoculars."

"Aw, Jesus Christ, he just gave her his number. I mean, he didn't even graduate. What makes him think that he can pick up my girl?"

"Dude, you are the worst spy in history, you know that?"

Danielle waves bye to Eddie as he leaves. 

"I'm spying on D- oh, my God." I say as I watch D walk past a trash can. "She didn't throw it away, why didn't she throw his number away?"

"How do you even know he gave her his number?" Dustin asks, taking the binoculars out of my hands and begins to look though them. 

"Uh, It was a folded piece of paper." I say sarcastically. "What else could it be?"

"I don't get why you're so over worked by a piece of paper. My sister is the perfect girl for you. Like you said, Eddie didn't graduate and Dani did, he probably just gave her his number so they can stay in touch. Don't people usually do that when they leave high school?" Dustin says looking back into the binoculars.

"Anyway." I shrug my shoulders. "He's a weirdo, that's not a good look." 

"Now that you're out of high school, which means you're technically an adult, don't you think it's time to move on from primitive constructs?"

"Oh, primitive constructs? That some stupid shit you learned at Camp... Know... Nothing?" I say after taking a quick glance at Dustin's hat.

"Camp Know Where, actually. And no, it's shit I learned from life.  Also, may I remind you, that Dani is also a little bit of a nerd... and a weirdo. Remember, she came from the lab, has powers-" He whispers.

"Yeah, but that's different. Danielle is hot, super smart, and apparently, she now speaks Russian." I say listing things off. 

"Instead of dating somebody you think's gonna make you cooler, why not date somebody you actually enjoy being around? Like me and Suzie." 

"I enjoy being around Danielle." I say defensive. "We enjoy doing a lot of the same things, I even told her that I love her and she said it back. So, we love each other. I really doubt you and "Hotter than Phoebe Cates.", Suzie told each other that you love each other. And, uh, let's think about how exactly did you score that beautiful girlfriend? Oh, yeah. With my advice." I point to myself. "Because that's how this works, Henderson. I give you the advice, and you follow through. Not the other way around, all right, pea-brain?" I say with one final look and begin to watch for Russian spies.