Welcome Home Danielle

May 24, 1971

Claudia Henderson's POV

"Please. Please. Please." I beg as I place the timer on the bathroom sink. I set the timer to ten minutes. "This has to be it, I've been sick for two days. Please be it." I nervously say as I hold the pregnancy test in my hands. I close the lid on the toilet and take a seat. 

Christopher and I have been trying to have children for an entire year now. Yesterday morning, I woke up with morning sickness, but I didn't want to have false hope by getting a test and it turning negative. So, I decided to wait. Sure enough, I woke up puking again this morning. I quickly kissed my husband goodbye and left the house before he did. Tickled to death, I hurriedly made my way to the pharmacy and bought a test.

Now, I'm sitting on my toilet, waiting for those two pink lines to appear. 

"This is the longest ten minutes of my life." I glance at the timer, only five have went by. I flip the test over, not being able to stare at it anymore.

Chris wants a boy. What man doesn't? I don't want to doubt my husband, but I believe that he has given up. Chris doesn't think that we will ever become pregnant. However, there is some good news. Hawkins opened an orphanage a few years ago. So, if for some reason, we can't become pregnant, we have already decided that we will adopt. I believe that every child deserves to be loved, biological or not.

*Ding*

"Finally." I sigh and flip the test over. I take a deep breath and slowly let it out, examining it.

One pink line.

"Negative."

June 5, 1971

"Hello Mr. and Mrs. Henderson. My name is Betty Cline and I will be helping you through the process of adoption." Betty says as she escorts Christopher and I though the orphanage.

As Betty gives a small tour, I notice that they're aren't many children here. In fact, I don't see any children here.

"We rarely have children here in the orphanage. Since Hawkins is such a small town, not many show up on our doorstep. My guess, is that they're taken to Indianapolis or something." Betty says as if she's read my mind.

"Danielle Jones is our only child here." She says as we enter the main room. 

Danielle was sitting on the floor, with her back facing us, watching cartoons on the television. I take notice in her appearance. A little frail, buzzed hair, quiet, and... lonesome? As we stand back at watch her, Betty continues to talk about Danielle.

In a hushed voice she says, "We don't know much about Danielle's backstory. About three months ago, a man shows up with her fast asleep in his arms and completely surrenders her over to us. Only said her name and how old she was. We tried to ask more questions, but he just ignored us. Got back in his car and left."

"They just left her?" Chris asks surprised.

Betty nods her head yes. "The poor thing doesn't really talk that much. Nor did she really get along with the other kids, that have since then been adopted. They all said she has superpowers like Superman, they were scared of her. Poor girl, doesn't even know what it's like to have friends."

"How old is she?" I ask.

 "She's four."

I gasp and place my hand over my heart. Poor sweetheart. I look back to the small girl, who is now watching the tv change channels by itself. That's a little odd.