The Bathtub

Tommy, Carol, Steve and I are at the Fair Mart. Steve is sitting on the trunk of his car and I'm leaning against it. We haven't spoken a word to each other. Tommy walks back outside and hands Steve a Coke and a bottle of aspirin. 

"Hey. You owe me $1.20." Tommy says to Steve. 

I push my glasses up a little because they start to slide down my face. I glance up at Steve, he's throwing back a couple of aspirins and puts the pop can on his bloody, already blackened, eye.

"Don't worry, he'll need more than aspirin when we're done with him." Tommy tries to convince Steve.

"Yeah, if the creep ever gets out." Carol says. "Why do you hang out with him anyway?" She says as she nods at me. "I mean we've all seen the pictures of you changing in Steve's room. It's sick." She laughs dryly.

"Yeah. Why do you and Wheeler hang out with him? After everything he's done?" Tommy asks.

"They probably have some weird fetish or something." Carol says quietly to Tommy, not giving me a chance to speak. "But, oh, my God! Did you see the look on his face." 

Tommy laughs and says to Steve, "He probably had that same look whenever he killed his brother, right?"

What did he just say?

"Oh, God. I just got an image of him making that face while he and Dani are screwing." She says while smiling back at me.

"Carol, for once in your life, shut your damn mouth!" Steve yells at her. 

"What?" Carol asks Steve.

"Hey, what's your problem, man?" Tommy asks Steve.

"You're both assholes! That's my problem." Steve says and jumps off of his trunk.

"Are you serious right now, man?" 

"Yeah, I'm serious. You shouldn't have done that." Steve says as he shoves Tommy out of the way. 

As he opens the driver side, he points to me and says, "Danielle, get in."

Without question, I quickly get in the passenger side. 

"Done what?" Tommy yells.

"You know what." Steve says.

"You mean call her out for what she really is? Oh, that's funny, because I don't remember you asking me to stop." Tommy says as he gets in Steve's face.

Steve doesn't back down as he says, "I should've put that spray paint right down your throat."

"What the hell Steve." Carol buts in.

"You know, neither of you ever cared about her. You never even liked her, because she's not miserable like you two. She actually cares about other people."

"The slut with a heart of gold." 

"I told you to watch your mouth!" He yells at Carol.

"Hey!" Tommy says as he pushes Steve against the driver door. "I don't know what's gotten into you, man, but you don't talk to her that way."

Steve shoves Tommy back. "Get out of my face." He says.

Tommy grabs Steve by his jacket, shoves him against his car and holds him there.

"Or what?" He says. "You gonna fight me now, too? Huh? Because you couldn't take Jonathan Byers... so, I wouldn't recommend that." He lets go of Steve.

Steve opens the door and gets shoved inside by Tommy. "Let me get the door for you, buddy." He says as he slams the door.