The Mall Rats

"Have a nice day." Robin says to two customers as she hands them their ice cream.

"Hi." Dustin says to her once we reach the counter.

"Hi." Robin says to Dustin. "Hey, Dani." She says to me.

"Hey, Robin. This is my brother-"

"I'm Dustin." He says cutting me off

"I'm Robin."

"Pleasure to meet you." Dustin smiles. "Uh, is- is he here?"

"Is who here?" Robin asks.

"Steve." I speak up.

Next thing you know, Steve, busts through the door from the back room, scaring us. 

"Henderson." Steve says excitedly.

Dustin laughs and points at Steve. 

"Henderson!" Steve yells jumping up and down and makes his way around the counter. "He's back! He's back!" Steve repeats looking at me.

"He's back." I smile at him.

"I'm back!"  Dustin says excitedly.

Robin stares at me from her side of the counter with wide eyes. I shrug my shoulders, "They have a bro-mance."

"Ah." Was all she said.

"You got the job!" Dustin yells to Steve excitedly.

"I got the job!" Steve yells and imitates a, celebratory trumpet. "Hey!" Steve then shakes Dustin's hand as I stand in-between them. They begin to do their secret handshake, which includes them imitating lightsabers clashing. Dustin stabs Steve with the imitated lightsaber and Steve proceeds to make gagging sounds and imitating his guts falling out. 

"How many children are you friends with?" Robin asks Steve once Dustin and him finished their handshake.

"Why don't we have a secret handshake?" I ask Steve jokingly.

**

Dustin, Steve, and I take a seat at one of the booths. I sit next to Steve on the end and his arm is wrapped around my shoulders as he talks to Dustin. 

"No, no. No way." Steve says in regards to Dustin's girlfriend. "Hotter than Phoebe Cates? No."

"Hey!" I say elbowing Steve.

"That doesn't count you, D!" Steve says defensively. "You are way hotter than Phoebe Cates."

"Mmm-hmm." I reply.

"She's brilliant too!" Dustin says with a mouth full of banana split. "And she doesn't even care that my real pearls are still coming in. She says kissing is better without teeth."

Steve and I look at Dustin a little dumbfounded. 

"Wow." Steve says finding the right words to say. "Yeah, that's great. Proud of you, man. That's ro- That's kinda romantic."

"Wow." I speak up.

"Hm." Dustin responds by taking another bite of his banana split. "So do you really just get to eat as much of this as you want?" He says pointing to the ice cream.

"Yeah. I mean, sure. It's not really a good idea for me, though. I gotta keep in shape for my lady." Steve says scooting closer to me. "So, where are the other knuckleheads?"

"They ditched him yesterday." I speak up.

"No." Steve says looking from me back to Dustin.

"My first day back. Can you believe that shit?" Dustin says irate.