The Sauna Test

"That keycard opens the door, but unfortunately, the Russian with this keycard also has a massive gun. Whatever's in this room, whatever's in those boxes, they really don't want anybody finding it." Dustin says pacing as Robin, Steve, and I sit at the table in the back room of Scoops Ahoy.

"But there's gotta be a way in." Robin says.

"Well, you know..." Steve says as he leans his arms on the table. "I could just take him out."

"Take who out?" Robin quizzically asks Steve.

"The Russian guard." Steve says as if it's obviously.

Robin and I give Steve an amused look.

"What?" Steve says after noticing the looks on our face. "I sneak up behind him. I knock him out, and I take his keycard. It's easy."

"Dani, please control your man." Robin pleads to me.

"Did you not hear the part about the massive gun?" Dustin asks Steve.

"Yes, Dustin, I did. And that's why I would be sneaking."

"Ah."

"And, what if there is more than one?" I ask Steve.

"I'll take them out too." Steve says as if it's no big deal.

"Okay, well, please, tell me this, and be honest." Dustin says. "Have you ever actually.. won a fight?" He asks Steve.

"Okay, that was one time-" Steve says defensive.

"Twice." Dustin cuts him off. "Jonathan. Year prior?"

"Listen that doesn't count."

"Why wouldn't it count? Because it looks like he beat the shit out of you."

"He's got you there, babe." I lightly smile at Steve. "Jonathan did beat the shit out of you."

 "Fine, you can do it then. Miss I have mind pow-" Steve begins to say before I cut him off with a simple tilt of my head.

Steve looks between me and Robin, silently hoping she didn't catch on.

"You would send your girlfriend to fight off evil Russians?" Robin asks, perplexed.

I raise my eyebrows, silently questioning Steve.

"Wha-No. No! I would never send my girlfriend to fight the evil Russians." Steve says defensive.

"It's alright baby," I say reaching over the table and placing my hand on top of Steve's arm. "I know you would never do that." I say in a calm tone. 

"That just might work." Robin mumbles to herself before getting up from the table.

She rushes out to the front of Scoops Ahoy and dips her hand into the tip jar, grabbing all of the cash.

"Robin." Steve says as he gets up and watches her through the window. "Hey, Robin!" He yells as he runs after her. "Hey, what- what are you doing?" He asks as he opens the door with Dustin following after him, as I watch from the window.

"I need the cash." Robin says to Steve as she leaves Scoops.

"Well, half of that's mine." Steve yells from the other side of the counter. "Where're you going?"

"To find us a way into that room. A safe way. And in the meantime, sling ice cream, behave, and don't get beat up.  I'll be back in a jiff. Dani's in charge!" Robin says running out into the mall, leaving us behind. 

"Oh, dude." Steve says snatching the ice cream scoop from Dustin, after catching him lick it. "Come on man, not my scooper."

"Better wash that scooper, Stevie. My brother has cooties." I say before closing the the window.