04: He's Gone

A knock woke him up and he opened his eyes, coming out of slumber.

He sighed and sat up from the bed. At the same moment, again, he heard a quiet knock from the other side of the door. Maalik looked down at Nakita and she was still asleep.

He came down from the bed and headed to the door, opening it slightly.

Ian's head, his right-hand man and childhood friend, came in view from the door frame and gave him an eager smile. And in return, Maalik gave him a bored look, not smiling at all. What event was occurring that he would be so thrilled about?

"So, grand duke, how is she?" he asked in an enthusiastic tone. He was getting too comfortable around Maalik.

He gave a blank expression. "Tired," Maalik said bluntly before he started to close the door. He wanted to lie back down, burying himself into the blanket beside Nakita and to resume his sleep.

But Ian put his foot between the door and the frame. "Wait your grace, there's some more important issue." Ian's voice was now more serious than before. Maalik now looked at Ian.

He then sighed. "What is the important issue you are talking about," he asked, irritated already.

"The king has asked for your grace's presence."

He froze for a moment. Why would he want to see him? He took a deep breath, running a hand through his hair and shutting his eyes to calm down. "You can leave now," Maalik said, soon after that he shut the door. He glanced at Nakita's sleeping figure and headed to the bathroom to take a shower. A moment later, he came out, dressed up and walked out of the room.

Maalik headed to his father's study room. He knocked on the door.

"Enter," the grand duke heard him say in a collected and calm voice. It seemed like he's getting better based on his hearing. His father wasn't able to come to his wedding due to his health and people could take advantage of that for their selfish benefits.

Maalik opened the door and he saw his father by the window, more healthy looking than the previous times he'd visited him.

"Your majesty, you called?" he said, walking up to him. His father, Catol, looked at him with an annoyed glare.

"How many times have I told you not to call me that? You are my son and I'm your father when we are alone," he said in a stern tone. Maalik glanced around the room and looked at him.

"You are not alone, your majesty," he looked through the room.

"Oh! Steven, I forgot you were even here, you can leave now." He said. Steven bowed in response and left. It became silent as the door closed shut. "Go on, say it." Maalik glared at him, in which the king returned with expectant eyes. Maalik sighed.

"Father..." he mumbled, but loud enough for the king to hear it.

"No, not that one. The other one, you know, it's the one that starts with a D-A-D?"

He gave him a blank stare. Was this the reason he brought me here? "Father, just tell me the reason you called me--"

"There's an operation I would like you to handle."

Maalik clenched his jaw, he knew what his father meant. He was sending him to war again.

"I thought this was the end of this."

"Unfortunately, it's not. But the good news is that it would be the last major mission you would participate in."

Maalik was still unhappy, he just got married yesterday and the girl he married undoubtedly still feared him. Perhaps he should give her time to at least be comfortable in the change of lifestyle. And for that to happen smoothly, she should be away from him.

"When would I be going?"

"As soon as possible. So this afternoon you must be on your way."

"What? I just got married yesterday. Don't you think this is an inappropriate time to do this?"

"You barely know her, Maalik. And besides, she won't be going anywhere. She will still be here by the time you come back."

"What is the expected duration of the operation, a few months?"

The king sighed, going to his seat by his desk. "It's expected to be more than a year. A year and half at least."

Maalik had nothing to say to that. His father always threw him into war whenever he wanted. He had no other choice but to obey.

"Prepare yourself."

"Yes, father."

And with that, Maalik left the room.

As he was walking down the corridor, he got closer to the room Nakita was sleeping in.

As he was about to open it, he was contemplating if he should tell Nakita or not. It shouldn't matter, they barely knew each other, and perhaps, this could be relieving for her. She didn't have to be with the rumoured beast of a man near her for a while.

With his mind set in stone, he moved away from that room. He left the palace and took a car to his own house where he was supposed to take his new wife to and live with after their first night together in the palace. But unfortunately, he won't be taking her. She would have to be escorted there alone.

In less than an hour, the servants were informed of his sudden departure and started to pack up.

Some had asked him if they should inform her grace so she could send him off. He refused and told them that they should let her be.

Around 12 noon, Nakita woke up and Maalik was long gone.