17: Downhill

Since that day, there has been one argument after another, and Maalik was growing more and more frustrated with Nakita's baseless conclusions.

"Why can't you understand me? She wants you! Can't you see?" Nakita followed him to his office as he ignored her voice.

"It seems like you are interested in her as well since you keep defending even though she is the one at–"

This time Maalik merely glanced at her, and her words were stuck in her mouth.

"Utter another word, Nakita and I will do something we'll both regret."

His deep voice was almost suffocating and his dark eyes, black as the void, so ire and dangerous.

"Now, get out."

She stood there frozen in shock that he was kicking her out of his office.

Nakita parted her lips to protest.

"Get. OUT!"

She flinched when he slammed his hand against his desk, and she left the study in a huff without a word.

Maalik then slumped on the chair and let out an exasperated sigh.

A while later, Vanessa came with tea. Lavender tea, his favourite. It reminded him of Nakita, however he didn't want to remember her, so he lost his appetite.

"I brought you some tea."

"Thank you, Vanessa."

She let out a giggle before rolling her eyes and setting the tray on the table. "That name is way too long, call me Nessa like old times."

Maalik gazed out the window, deep in thoughts. "Take a seat, I want to speak to you."

She sat down at a chair by the desk across from him.

"Do you know what is bothering her?"

Vanessa fidgeted with the cloth of her skirt, feigning sadness. "No, not at all."

His gaze moved away from the window to notice her looking down to her lap. "Tell me the truth, Vanessa. By any chance, have you ever offended Nakita?"

"No, I could never do that, Mik--"

"Don't... call me that."

His strong tone stunned her, but she stayed silent.

Nakita was sitting in the living room of the palace with the baby wiggling around. She came here to stay for a few days and talk to the queen about her situation. Could she be in the wrong? Sure, Vanessa was unbearable to be around, but she could be harmless to her relationship with Maalik. Perhaps her paranoia was tearing it down and drifting Maalik from her?

She let out a sigh, rubbing little Babette's back as she relaxed in her arms.

"Oh, my dear daughter!"

The queen made herself present, hurrying up to Nakita.

"Hello, auntie."

Nakita began to stand up to greet her but the queen assisted to sit her back down. "Please dear, sit. You're close to your due date."

She couldn't help but smile when the queen also took Babette as well. "Thank you."

Auntie sat near her and warmly held Nakita's hand. "Now, what can I do for you?"

Her heart began to be heavy as she revealed to the queen what has been transpiring for the past two years.

Her majesty listened silently with no interruption.