36: Husband to Claim

Nakita woke up in bed alone, she noticed she wasn't smelling of sex and sweat; he had cleaned her up. She let her eyes roam around the room until she saw a figure by the window.

She saw him stand there like a lone figure, his trousers hung low around his waist and he was shirtless.

"Maalik."

He turned to her when he heard her before gazing back at the window. "I'm sorry for what I did. I never meant to go that far."

She stayed silent for a while. It was shocking what happened last was real. She never knew he would be such a man to do that; with his physique, it would be making sense if she hadn't known him for so long.

"Nakita..."

His soft, deep voice wrapped around her like a thick velvet blanket, protecting her from the harshness of his next words that came.

"Concerning your request for a divorce that I kept declining over the years, if you still want it, I'm not stopping you anymore. I approve of it."

What?

Maalik smiled, his gaze heavy with sadness and acceptance. "It seems like till the very end, I can't win your heart. So it's best we end things now."

Her throat tightened up, making it hard to speak. "I need some time to think about it." She managed to choke those words out.

Maalik nodded. "Of course." Not once did his eyes move away from the window. "We can discuss this again a month from now."

And just like that, he grabbed his shirt and left without even a glance back.

She didn't want a divorce, how couldn't he see that? Didn't he understand that there was something there worth fighting for? Didn't he feel the connection between them from last night? She had never felt this kind of vulnerability before; she felt used.

Nakita's tears start flowing down her cheeks and sobs bobble in her throat. She wrapped the blanket tighter like some kind of shield.

Nakita curled herself in bed, tears continued to fall down her face.

•••

Over the coming days, Nakita and Maalik didn't speak of that night like it had never happened. Their lives had turned into a routine; each day was no easier than the former.

At least for her.

She had tried to talk to him, but it was only related to the children and never about them. He stopped looking at her lovingly like he used to, but as an acquaintance he had to be civil with. They were like housemates, taking care of children. She shouldn't be upset by this; this was how their dynamic was for close to six years before things changed.

The only difference was he loved her then, but now her interaction with him was met with indifference. Her heart ached once in a while whenever they spoke. It was no longer intimate.

Nakita knew it was selfish of her to want more to desire more.

She flinched, jerking from her trance and back into the present when a warm hand touched her cheek, wiping tears she was not aware of. She gazed at her mother-in-law; her aunty she favoured calling.

"Nakita dear, what is bothering you?"

The queen, her aunty, looked at Nakita with concern. Armin was sleeping in her arms while the others were playing in the massive garden with maids and guards supervising. They were both alone and free to speak.

The grand duchess let out a sigh. "I don't know if I should tell you this, but it is about Maalik to be frank with you."

Her aunty hummed thoughtfully before speaking. "I can't tell you if the information should be disclosed with me or not, but I see it does you no good keeping it."

Nakita nodded at that. Encouraged, she shared the events of the past year, including the reason behind the loveless marriage of over five years. The whole time, her aunty just listened and didn't interrupt.

Once she was done, the queen sat there in silence, mulling over the information given. Eventually, she spoke up.

"So, he never told you..."

This immediately caught Nakita's attention, as she didn't expect that to be the first thing she heard. "What? What do you mean?"

The queen gently rocked Armin in her arms when she noticed him wiggle around and whine in discomfort. "I wasn't aware of what you saw in the garden between Maalik and Vanessa. But I can say with great confidence that it was an honest misunderstanding."

"And how are you so sure? I know I caught them almost kissing. But what if that wasn't the first time?"

She hummed. "But do you think it wasn't the first time?"

This made the duchess pause, she thought of that. She knew Maalik was always lenient with Vanessa, but it never came across that he was choosing her over Nakita.

"You may be wondering why I'm asking all this, it is because it seems like Maalik decided to take matters into his own hands when he dealt with Vanessa."

"I don't understand."

"You never questioned why Vanessa suddenly vanished? Well, to answer for you, Maalik went as far as threatening Vanessa's father, to deal with his daughter otherwise his business and networks will crumble.

"Let's ignore the fact that he's my son. This man's actions of removing your problem and being affectionate suggest his love for you, even if it's unrequited for years."

Nakita looked down at her hands. "I suppose not."

"And also, with the recent matters at hand, it seems like he has finally reached his breaking point. There's so much love you can give until you expect some back, you know?"

Tears welled up in her eyes. "Yes, I do. I do now, but I think I'm too late."

"Are you afraid to tell him you love him?" asked the queen.

She nodded.

"Why? Because you are uncertain of the answer? What about him? He told you he loved you, knowing the answer, and yet he kept going on. Don't let fear ruin things. Not again."

Not again.

Aunty is right, I let my fears get the best of me and it ruined my marriage without giving it a chance.

With determination, Nakita looked at her mother-in-law, the woman who was more of a mother than her own mother was. "Thank you for everything. Can you take care of the children for a day or so?"

The queen smiled, a knowing glimmer in her eyes. "Of course, dear. They are my grandchildren after all."

"Good." Nakita stood from her seat, straightening her dress. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a husband to claim."