06: He's Back

The next two days were hectic. Everyone was informed about the arrival of the grand duke and his subordinates.

She had to make sure that the entrance of the house was tidied up; the kitchen was stacked with food supplies ready to be served; the floors and ceiling were cleared up; decorations to be welcoming and friendly; the garden was well trimmed and flowers healthy. She had to make sure to invite guests, especially with this short notice. Thankfully, many were willing, given that it was the grand duke that was involved.

Everything was ready as the guests were in the banquet hall, being taken care of while they waited for the grand duke..

Nakita and the closest maids waited outside to greet him when they saw a multitude of cars coming in.

The grand duke has arrived.

She couldn't stop her heart from racing. She hadn't seen or heard from him for two years. Would she be able to recognise him? Or perhaps he would forget her face instead.

As soon as the many men started to come out of the vehicles, one man stood out. His hardened gaze scanned the crowd before it landed on her and something changed his eyes. He then moved directly toward her as everyone else bowed their heads.

He looked different from two years ago. His hair has grown a bit longer, it brushed his shoulders. His body had a major impact as well. He has become more burly and muscular in stature. It almost looked like he had grown even taller than before, she had to stop herself from imagining how his body looked compared to that night.

Once he came to a halt, she curtsied. "Welcome home, um, h-husband..." That word felt foreign to her. She never used it for over two years, since there was no reason to.

"Yes...it has been a while."

He looked around the house. It was full of life; the ceiling had been cleared up from all the built up dust and cobwebs, and the workers had fresh-looking clothes. Even flowers were decorated and placed everywhere. Maalik had thought she was using the money for herself, which he didn't mind, but he was surprised that she used it for the household and workers.

"The place looks vastly different from the last time I was here."

His dark sharp gaze shifted from the flowers back to hers for an explanation and she gulped. "Yes, my lord. I wanted to make sure that everything was kept in order and was homely."

He hummed, his eyes still on hers. Suddenly, his hand wrapped around her waist, pulling her close to his chest without a warning.

Nakita immediately held her breath, and so did everyone, as they watched their interaction in anticipation and nervousness.

"You seem to have added weight the last time I saw you."

A maid couldn't help but let out a loud gasp and was quietly silenced by another maid that clasped her mouth.

Nakita's mouth hung open, and she became hot in the face. Was that the things he could've said when they haven't seen each other for two years?

"That's good. You'll need the energy soon enough." And with that, he let go of her waist and headed inside to his study room, leaving everyone in shock.

Once he was out of view, the maids and servants all turned their heads to her.

She just stood there for what seemed to be for hours with eyes all set on her.

Nakita then blinked and came to her senses. "Let's go serve him food, shall we? It must have been a long journey here."

"Yes, madam." All the workers curtsied and bowed before going to their respective positions.