21: Proximity

Warmth welcomed Nakita as she stirred awake. She snuggled closer to the source of this warmness, she strangely felt comfortable with it. Safe.

A chuckle was heard and she felt vibrations against her cheek. Her brows furrowed, confused about what was going on. However, she was too tired to open her eyes.

Eventually, she opened them and was greeted with a chest. She stared at it, moving her upward to know who it belonged to. And found familiar brown eyes staring down at her.

Nakita immediately moved away, shocked that she was so close to him.

"Your sleeping habit hasn't changed since we last slept together."

She ignored his comment before coming out of the bed and went to the bathroom to freshen up for the evening event.

The evening came faster than she expected. A car came earlier to grab their bags to the hotel they would be staying in before another vehicle came in to pick them up.

She stared at the venue with people of affluent backgrounds flooding into the building. Nakita and Maalik represented the king and queen. They have to be appropriate and have a united front.

Maalik stepped out of the car first before holding out a hand for his wife to grab onto, which she did. They both entered the place hand in hand.

The event was going by smoothly, although a bit draining, it was bearable with Maalik's eloquent and quick-witted words. They both were keeping the people entertained, building networks that would be of good use in the future.

However, throughout the entire evening, Maalik never left her side unless either of them went to the bathroom. He took every opportunity to touch and hold her, and in front of others was where she couldn't run away. Like he was afraid that she would leave or disappear when given the chance.

And to some extent, he was right.

Evening came and it was time to leave for the hotel, they entered the car and headed there.

A wide smile slowly spread across her face as she watched people as they danced happily and had a great time in the street. There was a festival down the street with vibrant colours glittering in the night sky, seeking attention.

Maalik watched her face light up at the sight before her. He wished he could bring that expression from her, and wished that she would look at him like that.

When feeling someone looking at her, Nakita glanced up at Maalik as he stared back at her. Something tender stirred behind his gaze, but she didn't question it and looked back outside.

No words were exchanged throughout the ride, but somehow, they both knew that something was changing between them. But was that a good or bad thing? Would they be able to handle it when that change inevitably came?

They climbed out of the car once it stopped in front of a very luxurious hotel. The inside was bustling with workers checking in the guests.

"Hello, we have rooms reserved, and would like the keys," Nakita said once they reached the counter.

"Of course. Names, please."

"Nakita and Maalik Saisch."

Maalik glanced at her, it has been so long since he heard her say his name. Even though, in this situation, saying his name was unavoidable. His heart leaped at the mention of his name.

The receptionist typed a few things to the pad in hand before looking and smiled. "The grand duke and duchess of Sintah. Apologies for not recognising you."

Nakita smiled. "That is alright. So, what are the rooms?"

The receptionist went to the cabinet with the cards that unlocked the suite. "The room is 3308."