12: Rival

"HOW DARE YOU?"

"Please ma'am, you must calm down."

"Don't you dare touch me or else, my papa will make you pay!"

Nakita stirred in her sleep, wondering what the chaos was all about.

Eventually, she opened her eyes and Maalik was sitting up on the bed, a laptop sat on his lap and a few papers scattered around. He was drinking a drink, blatantly ignoring the commotion down below.

"Grand duke?"

He sipped on his beverage, ignoring her.

Nakita then let out a sigh. "Ok. Maalik?"

He glanced at her before going to his papers. "Yes?"

"Do you know what is happening downstairs?"

"Yes. Just ignore it, she will give up soon enough."

Nakita decided to do the opposite. She stepped out of the bed to freshen up.

Once she came out of the bathroom after taking a shower, Maalik was looking at her.

"Do you really want to go downstairs?"

"Yes, there's an unexpected guest here and you refuse to tell me who this person is."

Grabbing a robe and wearing it, Nakita left the room and headed down to the chaos below.

"You tell the duke that I'm here! I don't like excuses!"

"And who are you, if I may ask?"

Nakita watched the red headed woman lift her gaze to the staircase. Nakita noticed that the woman was indeed beautiful despite her bad attitude. Her pale complexion with her blue eyes and red hair, gave her a distinct appearance, it was hard not to miss her. Even her body figure was something that many women would envy and men to drool over.

The woman frowned her face into a scowl. "So, you're the one that stole my man."

Nakita raised an eyebrow. "Your man?"

"Yes, I'm his betrothed."

Just then came Maalik down the stairs, standing beside Nakita.

"Vanessa Relish."

Her eyes perked up and face glowed. "Oh, Mik!"

Mik?

"I'm so happy. I heard you married, but couldn't believe it until I saw it for myself."

Maalik let out a sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Etta, please escort her to the living room."

"Yes, your grace."

Maalik then took Nakita to another room, once inside, she moved away from him.

"Nakita, I can explain."

"You don't have a choice, now, don't you?"

"Alright, yes. Yes, she was betrothed to me. We somewhat grew up together since her father and mine knew each other, and it was beneficial at the time since Nessa liked me then."

Nakita huffed at the nickname and he took notice.

"Look, it's all in the past, once I was sent to war, it was broken off because there was no certainty that I would be alive.

"Do you really think I've been with other women, following them around?"

Nakita turned away from him and he exhaled in frustration.

"Turnaround Nakita." But she didn't budge. "I said. Turnaround."

His cold, hardened voice made her listen. But she still refused to look at him, her arms crossed.

"Did you really think so?" He grabbed her chin and tilted it up for her to face him. "I've never been with another before you and won't after."

She looked up at him, confused. "Before?"

"Yes. Our wedding night...was also my first."

Nakita almost dropped her jaw in total shock. "Huh? But–"

"But what?"

His snappy tone silenced her. It was obvious it was something he was embarrassed about. "But that night, it looked like you knew what to do."

"I...I read a few books weeks prior. I had the knowledge but lacked experience to put them into practice..."

Nakita couldn't help but smile, but that didn't convince Maalik at all, because he let go of her, placing his face in his hand.

She noticed his ears were reddening, and she found it adorable.

"Maalik."

She removed his hand from his face, holding it between her hands.

"I believe you."

"You do?"

"Yes, I think it's very sweet and thoughtful of you to read a few things to make me enjoy just as much as you do , even if it didn't go perfectly as planned at first."

Eventually, the couple went to the living room where Vanessa was.

Her head turned towards the door as they stepped in. Her smiling face dined as her gaze dropped to their hands intertwined together.

"Sorry to keep you waiting, Nessa. And as you've heard, yes I am married. This is my wife."

He gestured to Nakita, and for some reason that made her chest swell with pride.

Something sinister flicked in her blue gaze, but she forced it down with a strained smile. "Oh, congratulations."

"Thank you. Was that the reason you came for a visit?"

"Well..."

Nakita didn't miss the blush creeping onto Vanessa's cheeks as she spoke.

"I wanted to talk to you as friends. We haven't seen each other in ages, you know?"

Nakita was about to say no, but Maalik spoke first.

"We can talk tomorrow if that suits. You came unannounced, after all."

"Of course." Her fake smile still plastered on her lips as she stood up, walking out of the room. "It was nice to see you, Nakita. It would be great to meet you again."

"And I really don't want to see you here again." Nakita didn't try to hide her lack of enthusiasm as Vanessa left the household.

She turned to Maalik and was shocked when he looked at her with disappointment.

"What? Did I do something wrong?"

"Did you have to act like that? Being polite won't take anything from you."

"She was the one to start with her strange behaviour towards me. Didn't you see it?"

Maalik shook slightly. "Vanessa is a nice woman. Spoiled, yes, but has a good heart. Just be patient with her, then the both of you can let go of your differences."

Before Nakita could get a word in, he left the living room. And left there alone with her own thoughts.