18: Unrequited

Time has passed.

They lived quite a comfortable life; they had given birth to three beautiful children: a daughter, Babette, and a set of twins; a girl and boy. Named Edwina and Damir respectively.

All seem to be well with the couple, however, there were hidden cracks in the marriage.

"Daddy? Guess what."

"What is it, son?"

"My teacher, she asked us to tell our mom and dad what love is."

"Oh, really?" Maalik took a bite of his food.

"Mmhm. So, daddy, what is love?"

Maalik stayed silent for a minute. "Love is... an action that comes from caring about someone. It's the desire and willingness to make sure that the person you care about is alright and that they feel heard, accepted and understood. Love is teamwork, to sacrifice and compromise where needed for both partners to live in harmony without being misunderstood or left out."

His eyes moved to Nakita, his wife. Her gaze was set on the food before her.

"Daddy, do you love mummy?"

The room went silent when the only son, Damir, asked that question. The duchess glanced at the duke who was already staring at her.

"Yes, I do. I love her very much," he said, his gaze not leaving hers.

"What about you? You love daddy, mummy?" the boy said as he ate his dinner.

"Don't eat and chew your food with your mouth open, it's improper."

"Okay."

"How was your outing with your friend, dear?"Just like that, Nakita had managed to change the subject. However, Maalik's eyes were still on her for the rest of the dinner.

Once the children were put to sleep, and Lisa changed to her night dress, she went to Maalik's office.

"Grand duke, we need to talk."

"And what is that, if I may ask?" He flipped over the paperwork before glancing up to meet her neutral expression, which he found adorable despite the situation.

"It's about what you said at the dining table." Her voice was calm and cool.

Maalik rose from his chair and walked toward her. His dark gaze moved to her figure hidden underneath the dress. It has been so long, years even, since he last saw her naked before him.

"What are you trying to do?" she said in a demanding tone. She was already on edge as he neared her, her brows furrowed slightly.

"Why can't I just be around you without you questioning my motivations? You keep guarding yourself, you know I would never hurt you on purpose."

Ignoring his comments, she spoke. "What you said at dinner was inappropriate."

Maalik let out a scoff. "Saying I love you to my wife is inappropriate now?"

"Yes, because it was a lie."

His gaze never wavered. "But what if it was true? Then what?" His tone softened, and so did his eyes.

"There's no then what, it's simply not true. Good night, your grace." She bowed respectfully, and with that, she turned away, heading to the door.

Maalik grabbed her wrist, pulling her close to his chest. A gasp left her lips when her body collided with his.

"What are you doing? Let go of m–" Before she finished, his lips were already on hers.

His lips were softer than she had remembered, it has been so long since she had been kissed by him. Perhaps because she never allowed him to be near her.

He brushed his lips over hers, sliding his tongue subtly, asking for an entry to which she obliged with a sense of eagerness.

Nakita could feel the restraints over her emotions waver. She shouldn't be doing this, but she had been starving for his touch of affection for so long.

The moment their tongues touched, his powerful arms wrapped around her soft body. He pulled her even closer to him, she could feel heat radiating from him.

A low moan escaped him as he let his hand wander underneath her skirt, caressing her thighs. He easily parted them with no resistance from her and reached her core.

The moment his finger grazed the bundle of nerves, and it shot a wave of shock through her. It was so electric that it jolted her, snapping her out of her lust filled trance.

No, he was taking advantage of her. She was certain he still liked or even loved that woman.

Maalik was suddenly shoved away and before he could quite register what had happened, a loud slap bruised his cheek. His hand moved to his cheek, rubbing it. His gaze narrowed on her.

Nakita was breathing heavily, trying to keep herself in control. "Don't...don't you ever touch me again," she said softly, not wanting to raise her voice.

She turned around and left, not once looking back.

"Nakita." Behind her, Maalik said her name with such a tender tone, she almost felt like she might shatter.

He only watched her till she left the room completely. An ache formed in his heart. Was this how it felt to have unrequited love, and the worst part of this was, it was of his own wife.

It has been five years.

Five, since their relationship was ruined, and it hasn't been able to recover. Despite how many attempts to win her heart and trust back, nothing was working.

She had turned into a neutral statue; she never changed her expression, she never raised her voice and it was always calm, there was almost nothing that made her lose control of her emotions.

They hadn't even had sex for those years, and she refused to sleep in the same room with him. She was so indifferent towards him.

She has asked several times for a divorce, but he kept refusing each time. Eventually she gave up and said that she would stay with him for the children's sake; for them to have a normal life as much as possible. And even if she requested a divorce again, he would try every way he could to hinder that from happening; but he knew couldn't stop her if she was truly determined to do so.

"I'll get you. Soon, very soon."

Maalik touched his cheek again, still feeling the hot sting. He then went back to his desk to resume his work before being done for the night to rest.