32: What We Are

Maalik took care of her for the remaining months; made eat her food in front of him, kept her busy with things to insure she wasn't idle, took her on long walks and even cuddled her a few times whenever she couldn't sleep. She sometimes would pretend she couldn't sleep just to make him cuddle and dote on her; Maalik caught this but said nothing.

He too enjoyed the hugs and cuddles; even went as far as rubbing her belly a few times, and she never stopped him.

They were closer than before.

However, he shouldn't let it enter into his head that things were getting better. He believed Nakita wanted to end things, but a child somewhat got in the way; the doctor said he needed to be there to improve her mental health.

Maalik was lying in bed with his wife by his side. He wasn't able to sleep, just watching as she did. Her cheeks were fuller, her skin much healthier. And her stomach grew bigger and bigger every day.

His fingers touch her face, brushing hair strands from her face. He really wanted to spend more time with her, but he shouldn't be selfish.

He was doing this for the child. He had to believe it. Raising his hopes would only lead to disappointment.

Maalik leaned down, his lips connected to her forehead with a soft, barely noticeable kiss.

However, his actions seemed to refuse to hide his true feelings.

•••

The days went by, and she was getting closer and closer to her due date.

Until one fateful night when she woke up to her water breaking and she went into labour.

Thankfully, Maalik was there to help her. He called for a few maids to the doctor and got a room ready for delivery.

The grand duke kept pacing outside the door for hours now, hearing cry and scream. Was it ever this long the last time she gave birth.

He was told to leave the room by the doctor because he was anxious, which he was, but it was stressing his wife, making it difficult for her to concentrate.

He heard her scream again, and the door to the delivery room opened. A nurse stepped out of the room to call out for him. "Your grace, she's ready to push."

Maalik quickly made his way to her side. He noticed how pale and sweaty she was; he held her trembling hand and she gripped hard on his. It was painful, but nothing compared to what she was going through.

"I can see the head. Start pushing."

Immediately, Nakita found the strength to do it, it was like her body remembered what it's supposed to do because of prior experiences. A warm, large hand strokes her head. His voice whispered encouraging words to her ear.

She then looked up at him with an expression Maalik didn't want to interpret as love with a swirl of pain.

"You are doing well, Nakita."

Tears stream down her face as the agonising urge to push hit her like a pound of concrete.

The wails of an infant brought everything to a standstill.

"It's a boy!" the nurse announced.

A weak smile to Nakita's joyful face. She could finally relax.

She collapsed to the bed, her body heavy. He watched her eyes close, her grip weakened and her breathing deepened until she found her well-deserved slumber.

The nurse handed the baby to Maalik once the baby boy was cleaned up. He was still making whining noises and wiggling around but content and at peace, nonetheless. The father held his tiny son cautiously, making sure he was comfortable.

Maalik looked at his wife who was still asleep, she needed the proper sleep.

"What is the name of the boy?"

He turned his head to the doctor before looking down at his son. He thought about it; he wasn't so sure.

Maalik stared at his boy who was already sleeping in his arms for a moment. Then a name came to mind.

"Armin."

The baby flinched in his arms at the mention of his new name. He squirmed a bit more, uncomfortable with being swaddled.

"Armin, welcome home." Maalik kissed him on the forehead.

Eventually, Nakita woke up from her brief nap. "Maalik, is that the baby?"

"Yes, it's a boy." He handed the boy to her. "His name is Armin."

"Armin..." Her lips curved up to a smile at the name. "That name suits him."

•••

"I'm sorry for what I did."

Nakita had just freshened up and had finished breastfeeding the baby. Maalik was preparing to make her food according to the instructions of the doctor.

"It's alright. It is not something I'm not used to."

"It mustn't be so."

"But it is how it is, darling."

"Why...why are you so calm and patient with me." Her eyes watered with unshed tears.

"Because I loved you."

Her heart immediately dropped. "Loved?" She stared at his back as he was preparing her food.

Maalik continued to prepare her food in silence, making sure that the vitamins and minerals were in there. "Please don't misunderstand me. I love you, I still do, very much. But there comes a time where you have to stop loving when it is not reciprocated or appreciated.

"I'm tired of trying to still love you."

She looked down at her baby who was already staring, watching curiously as tears ran down her face.

"Make sure you eat. If not for your own sake, let it be for Armin." Maalik gestured to the baby boy she held.

She nodded solemnly. Maalik then came closer to her, placing the food by the nightstand. He took the baby from her arms for her to eat.

Silence stretched between them as he watched her eat, making sure the entire plate was empty so that Nakita could stay strong for the children.

They have to be civil; they have to cooperate. It was for the children.

That was what they were now.