05: Two Years

Nakita woke up with an empty spot beside her. Maalik must have woken up earlier than she did.

She yawned as she stretched, rolling around the bed. Her body still aches because of what they did this early morning. No wonder she slept until late afternoon.

She couldn't help but blush when recalling the memories. He was so different from everything she had heard regarding him. But why didn't he do anything to change the way people saw him? Perhaps he simply didn't care.

Perhaps this marriage won't be bad after all.

Nakita slipped out of the bed, wrapping the surrounding blanket naked body.

A light knock caught her attention.

"Come in."

Her new personal maid, Etta and a few others, entered the room.

"Good afternoon, your grace."

"Yes, good morning."

Nakita watched as they began to prepare the clothes she would be wearing to leave the palace. It was strange for Nakita to have people dress her up. She could do those things perfectly fine on her own. But she was married to a grand duke. She had to get used to it in her new home with her husband.

Speaking of husbands...

"Where's his grace?"

The maids looked at each other, wondering who was going to tell her. Eventually, Etta stepped in.

"His grace had an... urgent place to go. It couldn't be delayed."

Nakita nodded in understanding; he was a busy man, marriage wasn't the only thing in his mind.

After helping her with the clothes, they headed downstairs to a car that would take her to her new home. After an hour and a half, they arrived.

Nakita stared at the house. It was similar to the palace, but more... gloomy. She wasn't sure that was the correct word, given that she would be living there now.

A week into living in the house with Maalik not around, she asked her personal maid, Etta, to call in Anne. Nakita stayed silent for a moment in the bedroom that was way too big for her alone. She had to know what was going on.

Once she came to the master bedroom, she curtsied. "You called madam?"

"Do you have any idea where the grand duke is?" Nakita asked. She couldn't stay silent any longer. No one had mentioned him yet, and she needed to find the reason.

After a few seconds of hesitation, she eventually spoke. "He will be gone a while and won't be back for a year or so."

That was what Anne said, but it has been over 2 years. Nakita had grown more familiar with the residency, the servants and maids: they all had such different personalities. It was never dull in this home.

And Anne... well, she was the head house-maid, and almost acting like the mother of everyone, making sure that everyone was on their best behaviour.

Nakita had begun to warm up to the queen. The queen had asked for forgiveness for deceiving her for so long. She was worried Nakita would treat her differently if she found her identity.

However, her mother and Nakita were still civil, but not as close as they were before. After all, they were the only family they had.

Nakita was taking care of the household and also learning some things regarding money and financial management to take care of the mansion.

She found it entertaining; it helped her pass time and forget about Maalik.

He was really gone and won't be back for a long time. Not once had he called or told her where he went before he left. They barely knew each other, but she thought it would be the right thing to do was to at least inform her as his wife.