08: Father-in-law: the Cupid

This was the first time she was meeting Maalik's dad. She didn't see him during the wedding or even after because he didn't feel all that well. What's he like, though? Will he even like her? Well... there's only one way to find that out.

Maalik opened the door that led to a study room. She looked around the room in awe. It was so huge. There were massive and soft-looking couches. There were immense windows that brought warm sunlight in. Nakita looked at the ceiling and there was a second floor filled with books. Why were there so many books? Who even had the time and dedication to read all of it?

"It seems you like this place, Nakita."

Her head snapped back in the direction she heard an older man's voice. There was a person's silhouette standing by a window. She squinted her eyes, but still couldn't see the person's face.

"Oh, you can't see me." The person said and stepped away from the window. He had white hair and wore a smile that was very similar to Maalik's.

"Hello, your um... Majesty?"

He let out a hearty laugh. "Just call me Catol or when you are more comfortable around me, you address me as dad. Right, son?" He said and looked back at Maalik, who rolled his eyes and averted his attention to the nearest window. What was that about?

Catol moved closer to her and narrowed his eyes like he was examining her. He rested a hand on her shoulder, then looked back at Maalik and sighed.

"Nakita, don't mind me asking. What is your opinion on that?" He asked, gesturing to Maalik who was now glaring at him, but there's a strange hint of amusement in them.

She looked back at Catol with a hint of worry. "Should I be a hundred percent honest?"

He smiled. "As honest as can be." She glanced at Maalik, he stared at her waiting for her response.

She forced herself to break eye contact, her cheeks felt hot when last night came to mind. "To be very honest, he's not that bad. He's... alright." Catol let out a disappointed sigh.

"Why does she like you instead of disliking you, just like me?" he said and patted Maalik on the back.

"You know I'm your son, father." Maalik sighed, a hand ran over his face, looking unbothered by what he said. "Why did you call us here?"

The king raised his eyebrows like he had just remembered. "Oh, yes. Well, the queen and I had decided that the both of you should go on a two-week vacation. After all, both of you hadn't spent proper time as a married couple to know each other because of the mission."

Silence fell between them for a while until finally Maalik broke it. "I think that's a great idea."

"What?!"

The men looked at her and she had to calm down.

"I mean why should we do that? We could get to know each other in this place." She glanced at Maalik and quickly looked away when she recognised the expression from last night. She knew that this trip was going to benefit him, and he was going to enjoy every second. Although she would be lying if she said she wouldn't enjoy it as well; but pride took over this time around.

The king frowned his brows, a bit puzzled. "Well, you are not wrong--"

But the grand duke quickly interrupted. "I could really use the vacation to relax. I just arrived yesterday evening and would like my wife to come as well. She had done an amazing job in taking care of the house, and a break is very well deserved."

The king nodded in agreement. "Yes, you are right. Both of you need a break. You could call this trip a honeymoon, you deserve it. Enjoy yourselves, the car will arrive tomorrow morning."

And just like that, it was the end of the conversation.

Nakita wanted to slap the triumphant smirk off of his face. Did he enjoy annoying her? He could go alone if he wanted to, but nooo, he was forcing her to go as well..

They entered the car and Nakita refused to look at him, although he, on the other hand, was shamelessly staring at her the entire ride back home.

They came home, and she stormed into the house. She was flying up the stairs when Maalik made her come to a halt.

"In all honesty, it's not that bad. The last time we stayed together, it turned out alright. Didn't it, darling?" he asked and shrugged, slowly meeting her on the staircase.

This man...

Nakita forced herself to look at him despite her heart increasing when he stood so close to her. "But I want to sleep alone. Not with anyone." She made sure her voice didn't tremble.

He chuckled. "Oh, that won't be happening. If there's anything else, I will get going," he said and walked away.

"What is your problem? Why can't you just leave me alone?"

He stopped in his tracks and turned to face her. "Sleep well tonight, it will be your last night on your own."

He had a glint in his eyes that meant no good for her before walking away, leaving her on the staircase speechless.