Part Nineteen

"Ellie!" Gabriela yelled, running up carefully as she tried not to trip in her heals, "you know I'm not one to care about this kinda of thing-"

"Madam Morribles class!" Eleanor exclaimed in realization, making Gabriela node.

Dorian was still standing there, as well as Jay and Evie; Carlos had spotted Jane.

"Dorian, as much as I'd love to keep listening to your complaints, I have to go!" Eleanor said quickly, waving to Evie and Jay as she ran off.

Dorian sighed and leaned against the wall, running a hand through his farm boy hair.

***

"Sorry we're late!" Gabriela exclaimed quickly as the two ran into the classroom.

Madam Morrible turned around with a calm expression on her face. She had written her name on the chalkboard as if neither of them knew who she was.

"Oh, my dear, you're right on time!" Madam Morrible stated.

The two stared at her for a moment before a loud crash was heard.

"What in Oz name..." Madam Morrible trailed off as she walked towards the noise.

"Could we please just get class going?" Eleanor asked, a bit sarcastically, causing Gabriela to smack her in the arm.

"Ow!" Eleanor exclaimed, her burns still healing.

Gabriela remember her burns and quickly apologized. She no longer needed bandages (her burns usually healed relatively quickly) but there were still purple spots where they once were. And yes, they still hurt.

Eleanor looked back over at Madam Morrible to see a knowing look on her face. Gabriela noticed it and gave her a questioning look.

"Well, let's not delay any longer; take your seats." Madam Morrible stated, gesturing to two desks.

The two girls looked at each other before going to their desks. Eleanor sat down and placed her bag next to her.

As Madam Morrible began to speak the green girl examined the paper standing on her desk, with Eleanor Thropp written neatly on it's surface.

"Now, in Oz there have been many magical figures. Could either of you name a few?" Madam Morrible asked, looking between the two of them.

Gabriela raised her hand hesitantly, not sure where this was going.

"Miss Gabriela," Madam Morrible said, pointing a long stick at her momentarily.

"My mom, Glinda the Good." Gabriela answered, unsureness clear in her voice.

"Very good," the woman said, writing Glinda on the chalkboard.

Eleanor gave Gabriela an uncomfortable glance, which the blonde returned.

"Miss Eleanor," Madam Morrible started, "do you have anything to add?"

"No," Eleanor answered plainly, not wanting to go along with whatever game she was playing.

"Are you sure, dear? As far as I can see, you're a straight A student." Madam Morrible pushed on.

"I'm sure," Eleanor said, slightly glaring at her.

Madam Morrible lightly clinched her fist, turning towards the chalkboard, "Alright, the Wonderful Wizard-"

"The 'Wizard' was a fraud!" Eleanor blurted out, making Madam Morrible turn to her.

"Oh really?" The witch asked, a sinister quality to her voice.

Gabriela tensed up, looking nervously between them.

"He was all smoke and mirrors, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." Eleanor mocked, cringing at the idea that she was related to him.

"May I remind you, the Wizard helped many people of Oz, building the city from the ground; giving the citizens of Oz someone to believe in." Madam Morrible lectured, turning again to write his name on the chalkboard.

"He lied to them!" Eleanor argued loudly, standing at her desk.

"Quit correcting me!" Madam Morrible snapped, turning towards Eleanor and storming up to her.

"If you don't want to be corrected, quit being wrong!" Eleanor yelled back, realizing how close Madam Morrible had gotten.

She looked over at Gabriela's stressed face before grabbing her bag.

"Miss Eleanor," Madam Morrible said in a questioning and surprisingly calm tone.

Eleanor ignored her and reached for the door nob.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you, it might rain." Madam Morrible continued, this time getting Eleanor's attention.

Gabriela straightened in her seat, a terrible realization ringing in her ears. I'm cursed. Eleanor's choice of words clicked, giving Gabriela a pit in her stomach.

Madam Morrible.

"Take your seat." Madam Morrible said with fake sweetness thick in her voice.

Eleanor didn't take her eyes off Madam Morrible as she slowly walked back to her desk.

"Now, the Wonderful Wizard of Oz!"

***

The two girls walked into their shared dorm. As Gabriela locked the door, Eleanor hung up her bag and flopped onto her navy blue sheets. Slightly smashing her glasses into her face in the process.

"I think that was the longest hour and a half of my entire life." She complained, her voice muffled by her pillow.

"Madam Morrible cursed you, didn't she?" Gabriela asked in a low voice.

Eleanor was surprised by her statement, sitting up with a flabbergasted expression and crooked glasses.

"How did you..." Eleanor trailed off.

Gabriela walked over to her bed and gingerly sat next to her.

"Why?" The blonde asked, reached out to grab Eleanor hand.

The green girl recoiled a bit at the touch, then sighed before speaking.

"A couple years after King Adam made his decree for all villains to be sent to the Isle, he had been sending out guards to find the unaccounted villains; Glinda happened to came with them for extra help; she was the one who found them. Glinda was so happy she screamed with joy; she ran up and hugged my mom... the guards heard her. They misread the situation," Eleanor stopped for a moment as Gabriela squeezed her hand, "my dad ran in to try and help-he was holding me. They had to be taken into custody. News spread quickly that they had been in hiding, and with a baby, as the icing on the cake. Madam Morrible was furious when she heard the news... she cursed me to get back at my mom. Making me allergic to water. Ironic, isn't it. "

Gabriela was silent for a moment before hugging Eleanor tightly. They held onto each other for a long moment before pulling away.

"I've never told anyone about that before." Eleanor stated, an odd mixture of realization and relief in her voice.

Gabriela grabbed her hand, making the green girl look up at her, "I'm glad you chose me."