Part Seven

Laney was heading to get things set up for fencing, but stopped short as she overheard Madam Morrible in an empty classroom, stopping to listen.

"-just keep an eye on her!" Madam Morrible was saying, sounding unlike herself.

"I thought Ben trusted the school artichoke?" Lizzy asked, challenging Madam Morrible.

The woman scoffed, "He only sees the best in everyone." She sneered, "But you, you three see through her lies! You know she put a spell on Miss Gabriela! You saw what happened to that Charming boy!
"Have you found out anything useful?"

"She's been snooping through books on magic-something about dreams-in the library." Maize informed her immediately.

Laney leaned in closer, her curiosity getting the best of her; Eleanor had been acting weird.

"Perfect..." said Madam Morrible, her lips curling slightly upward in a wicked smile, "This is why I made you three my little scouts!"

Laney wrinkled her nose, still leaning closer.

"Oh, I had news!" Izzy said excitedly, raising her hand unnecessarily, "She's really protective of that goat boy! Mr. Almonds son!"

Laney knew it was a bad idea, but she couldn't stand staying quiet, "His name is Dr. Dillamond, his son is Eddy, Eleanor is one of the most loyal people I've ever met, and lastly, don't you ever talk about Ben that way!" She half-yelled angrily, making the whole group turn in surprise.

"My dear," Madam Morrible greeted before any of her little helpers could get a word out, "I assure you, you misunderstand."

"I believe I understand quite well! And so will Ben." Laney said icily, starting towards the door.

She jumped back when her exit suddenly snapped shut, causing her to turn back towards the foul woman.

"You're getting involved with things that don't concern you," Madam Morrible told her calmly, stepping closer, "Ben, the poor dear, is all to eager to look past her parents and short tempered personality, I however, am not."

"Would you care to tell me what crime either of her parents committed?" Laney asked angrily, crossing her arms and discreetly scanning for an escape route.

"Treason, arson, kidnapping of a young girl, the list goes on, my dear girl, with things too terrible to name," Madam Morrible listed theatrically, waving her hands.

"Save it. I know the truth. You're the one who's committed unspeakable things." Laney rasped, glaring at all four Ozians.

Maize looked prepared to punch Laney for insulting the old women, but Madam Morrible made a sharp gesture to stay put.

"Well, I suppose I can't fool you." Madam Morrible sighed, making Laney raise an eyebrow, "Go on, tell your little friends-see what they make of it."

With that, the tall women waved her hand, allowing Laney to hesitantly leave the room, knowing it wasn't that simple.

"Lovely," Izzy sneered as soon as Laney was out of earshot.

"Don't you understand? She'll go tell the Wicked Bitch and Gabriela first." Maize explained with annoyance.

"Precisely," Madam Morrible complemented, nodding, "And if she's anything like her mother, Miss Eleanor-the 'Wicked Bitch' as you call her-won't want Miss Laney getting involved, nor will she want to relay this information to Ben."

"But what if Eleanor does tell Ben?" Lizzy questioned, her eyebrows scrunched up in confusion.

Madam Morrible laughed at the question, taking a moment to compose herself, "Trust me, my little scouts," she said, addressing all three girls, "I have everything under control. Now, if you don't mind, I have a meeting to attend."