N I N E T E E N

I waited for Lewis in the airport's VIP lounge. Fifteen minutes. Thirty minutes. One hour. Nothing happened, which is why I was started to worry. The tingling in my legs got worse and worse and I couldn't sit anymore. I felt like I had to move, do something, but didn't wait pointlessly, whereupon I got up. Lewis should have shown up here a long time ago, but he wasn't...

The minutes passed while I ran back and forth in front of the couch all the time. From left to right and back again. But the strange feeling in me didn't go away anymore, everything felt kind of strange. My legs, my fingers, not to mention my heart. It pounded differently than usual, stronger and much faster. But I put it on my nervousness, because it was plausible for me.

At some point I couldn't stand it anymore and called him. I realised that my messages from earlier, when I told him that I had landed, weren't arrived at all.

It didn't even dial before the call ended by itself. „Fuck.." I cursed quietly because I didn't really know what that meant. What happened? Did anything happen at all? The worst horror scenarios came up in my head, I would have preferred none of them. What would I do if - I didn't dare to think this thought to the end. Nothing had happened! It just wasn't allowed to...

„Oh God, I'm so happy to finally be here!" Suddenly a voice sounded behind me. Rattling of a suitcase followed. At the same moment I already fell around Lewis' neck. „Wow, okay..." He laughed. „I missed you too." I felt his hug become firmer. Relief flowed through my limbs and I already realised how I relaxed a little. „I'm so glad you're doing well..." I explained when I released my arms from his neck. My hand ran over his chest, this isn't a dream.

„What did you think?" I shrugged my shoulders. „I kind of had a bad feeling, I don't know. Besides, you were not reachable..." As soon as I had finished talking, a wide smile appeared on Lewis' lips. „You are cute. My battery's dead, so you couldn't call me, but now I'm here." Stones loosened in my heart when he said this. It was just the battery, the god damn battery... I urgently need to stop worrying like that...

Since it was already half past eight and the sun slowly set, we made our way to the parking lot relatively quickly. Lewis had a key for a car he got from Mercedes, which was just right for me at the moment. I just wanted to go home, lie down and sleep...

I caught myself slowly getting tired while we drove across the highway towards the city centre. The house was located in the beautiful west of Stuttgart, from where you had a beautiful view over the city and at night it was particularly picturesque. When the sun disappeared and the lights are on, it was most beautiful...

Then we were there. Lewis parked the car in the driveway, I already saw the door of the house. Dark oak wood, surrounded by the white facades of the new building. It was renovated last year, I had never seen it since then. The driveway was shielded by large fir and deciduous trees, as well as the rest of the property. As a result, our house almost disappeared into the dense of the trees and you could only see it if you actually drove up the slightly winding driveway, or if you lived in the neighbouring house. From where you could take a sparse look at our garden, and in winter, when the trees were a little leaner, you could even discover the white painted house walls.

I rummaged the key out of my small handbag and put it in the lock. As soon as the door was open, the smell of my memories flowed towards me. Slightly sweet, mixed with the scent of the new parquet floor. I hadn't entered it once so far. I felt the cosy warmth that lay around my heart like a blanket when I stepped in.

I put my handbag on the glass chest of drawers in the entrance area, right next to the large bowl, which was only for decoration. The large mirror opposite protruded from the ceiling to the floor, the frame shimmered gold in the dim light from outside.

My gaze fell into the hallway, to see was the vague shape of half the living room table and further back you could discover the huge window front. On my right, a staircase led to the second floor. The steps ended in the dark, as if the blackness were simply swallowing them.

I turned around as the door closed behind me. Lewis put the two suitcases in the entrance and then came running to me. „I'll show you the view." I took him by the hand and led him through the hallway until we finally stood in front of the window. The lights of the city sparkled in the tiny pearls that had already gathered on the glass. From here you could already see the pool, which offered you an infiniti view over Stuttgart, and in whose water the moon was reflected. It was so beautiful, so peaceful.

No one said anything for a moment, but in my thoughts I saw myself play right there. How I ran after butterflies at the age of eight while my parents had breakfast. It was so incredibly beautiful, but it certainly wouldn't have been so nice if we had already known back then what it would be like. That I am standing here now, almost ten years later, and wish these moments back. That Lewis is by my side and we go through the world together. Who would have thought that..?

„That's really nice..." Lewis whispered half-loud at some point, I blinked a few times to get the pictures of the past out of my head. „And this is where you grew up?" He turned away from the windows and looked around. „More or less. We moved here when I was one year old and then left again when I was nine. Since then, we have only been here for a limited time." I explained. My legs carried me into the kitchen, because for some reason, I had come up with the thought that we have nothing to eat in the refrigerator. „You know, it wasn't so difficult for me to move away from here, but sometimes-" I interrupted myself and opened the refrigerator, just to see... nothing. Great. But what did I expect?

With the words: „We have nothing to eat," I closed the refrigerator again. „We can order something. What do you want?" Lewis pulled out his, now loaded phone and when we agreed in Indian, he placed the order.

An hour and a half later, when we had eaten and already carried up our suitcases, I found myself in the bathroom. Lewis lay next to it on the bed. Through the leaning door, I heard that he was talking to someone on the phone. I didn't listen carefully, which is why I didn't know what it was about, instead I devoted myself. After the make-up was removed, I stowed all my stuff in a small toiletry bag and then placed it next to the sink. Then I combed my hair, the traces of today were clearly visible.

And suddenly it was there again. The tingling in my body, it flowed through me like a wave. It came so suddenly and unexpectedly that I had to hold on somewhere. I felt that my legs could give in every moment, so I supported my hands to the left and right of the sink. I felt nervous, my heart pounded faster. And the longer it beat so fast, the more unpleasant and cramped the feeling in my chest became. Calm down, Liv. Everything's fine... I tried to talk to myself. It was exactly the same as before. And now I couldn't convince myself anymore that it was Lewis' flight, which I was worried about. I still heard him talking on the phone next door. He was here, safe and certainly not in danger. It was something else. It was a sign, a sign that I was dying. But why did I have to be reminded right now? Especially now that I just wanted to be happy to be here with Lewis?

It was just so damn unfair...

—————————————————
Don't forget to leave a comment and a vote, I would really like to hear what you think :))

(The book is correct until here so don't be confused if there are some mistakes in the following parts. I give my best to go through it as fast as possible!)

See you <3